Anyone use Code Warrior?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.metrowerks.com/mw/default.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.metrowerks.com/mw/default.htm</a>;

Been debating on whether to get this. I've heard this is the the best programming app out there and that the C++ compiler is good. It is also for OS X. I've been typing up my programs in BBEdit and then going to the labs to compile them using M$ Visual C++ 6.0 (this is the program we use in class). It is kind of a pain cause I'd rather be able to do all my coding here on my computer. I noticed that they have a hybrid Code Warrior 8 Pro for Win/Mac, but there is also a separate version 8 Pro for Mac. This version lets you program for C++, C, Objective-C, Java, PowerPlant, Carbon, and Cocoa. I plan to try and learn some Mac OS X programming later on.

I was looking around to get an academic pricing on the software, but it seems like none of the stores offer the v8 Pro for Mac, but instead the learning version and the regular hybrid version that doesn't do OS X programming. Would anyone know how I could get a discounted price on the full v8 Professional for Mac?

If anyone is using it or is familiar with it, can you post some screenshots maybe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    We use CodeWarrior and my school, which works well for me since it is multiplatform. In our schools computer store, they offer the full version of CW (PC and Mac hybrid) at an academic discount of about $120. Although the CS class I'm in right now uses Java, I think the C/C++ works fine.

Heres a pic of a recent Java project:

<a href="http://m236.aldrichhoperw.uri.edu/Picture 1.jpg&quot; target="_blank">CW 8</a>

edit = changed pic to link

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: ericj551 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Codewarrior is a pretty good IDE, I like it, and my school uses it... but you don't need it. What's wrong with Project Builder, which is free? Though, my roommate, who is a CS major here, prefers to code in BBEdit and compile with gcc. BBEdit is supposed to be incredible... Gcc does objective c too, and is used by project builder for compilation.

That's always the cheap way...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Codewarrior is a pretty good IDE, I like it, and my school uses it... but you don't need it. What's wrong with Project Builder, which is free? Though, my roommate, who is a CS major here, prefers to code in BBEdit and compile with gcc. BBEdit is supposed to be incredible... Gcc does objective c too, and is used by project builder for compilation.

That's always the cheap way...</strong><hr></blockquote>

CW's compiler is muuuuuch much faster than GCC, if that's important to you. For student projects, maybe that's not a big deal. I am just more comfortable in the CW IDE than in PB, but that's a personal preference.

I use CW for work and it's pretty awesome. I've been building stuff on OSX since CW 7. CW 8 is really necessary if you're targeting mach-o, though. I've never done any Cocoa in CW so I can't say how well it works in that department.

I dont know what the original poster meant about the learning edition not building OSX apps. I use the Pro version of CW but the Metrowerks website explicitly says that the learning edition supports MacOS 10.1.3 and above. I use CW for Mac and Windows but the Mac environment is much better (of course!).. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I used to use CW exclusively, pre-X, for Mac development. I worked in a Wintel shop, but being able to move CW projects back and forth saved my sanity.

When X hit though, and I was able to choose my own tools, I went with PB/IB... free, hosted on top of my old gcc toolset that I knew and... well, knew... and slick as hot pig snot on a griddle.

With each iteration of the gcc tools they just keep getting better (in no small part to Apple's work being returned to the FSF tree...), and things are looking good from top IDE to bottom CLI.