Need help deleting languages

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
ok, so after i installed leopard, i was only left with 7gb of space left on my hard drive. so i got thinking, how can i make some extra room. then, as i was looking around my desktop,i noticed the union jack. so that got me thinking about deleting the other languages on the hard drive, seeing as i didnt have any choice but to install them.

so basically, can anyone help he get rid of some of those unwanted languages.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You can delete extra languages and extra printer drivers. You don't mention what model Mac you have, but one down-side with languages is you might kill Rosetta. Then again, you might not need Rosetta, you have to research that one. The other problem is that when you are all done getting rid of that unnecessary stuff, you may find that you only cleared out a gig or two of room. Truth is, you need a bigger drive!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Youpi Optimizer is what you want. It gets rid of the localizations that are installed on OSX. Doesn't affect input language, just the translations of menu's, message boxes and stuff in different languages. It allows you to pick which languages you want to keep. There are other programs that do similar things, but Youpi worked for me, and I was able to free up about 2.5 gig.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Delocalizer and Monolingual will each delete unused languages. Just be careful iwth Monolingual -- make sure you check the tabs and look at the one that talks about architecture -- farthest right, I believe. Do not let it remove any architectures (if you have an Intel machine) or some of your universal apps might not run. As with all software, make sure you read before you click!

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    firstly, thanks for all the responses. secondly, this all seems a bit heavy, and knowing my luck i would make a mistake and mess up my computer... again, and i don't want to go through re-installation again!

thanks again
  • Reply 5 of 9
    You DO have a choice not to install languages when you install Leopard. It's a pain but you can remove them from individual applications after by Showing Info. Not sure how much space this would save. Trash printer drivers first, they're like 3.5 Gigs.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

You DO have a choice not to install languages when you install Leopard. It's a pain but you can remove them from individual applications after by Showing Info. Not sure how much space this would save. Trash printer drivers first, they're like 3.5 Gigs.

yeh, i managed to not install the printer drivers. but whilst i was installing i had no choice but to install all the excess languages, there were sort of 'grayed' out
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Youpi should be ok. It scans your mac disk, and looks at the languages for individual programs, not just the OSX operating system. You can make it list the languages that are present, and can check the ones which you dont want, and you can set which languages to not delete in the preferences too. So as long as you're careful, there is no danger of screwing up.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjei7 View Post

Youpi should be ok. It scans your mac disk, and looks at the languages for individual programs, not just the OSX operating system. You can make it list the languages that are present, and can check the ones which you dont want, and you can set which languages to not delete in the preferences too. So as long as you're careful, there is no danger of screwing up.

looks good, but does it work with leopard? i know its nit picking, but ive managed to bugger this computer up once already. also, i think ive decided im going to buy an external hard drive soon, mainly so i can use time machine and the like. should clear a good 15 gb. (from a 60gb hard drive). thanks again for the responses
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

looks good, but does it work with leopard? i know its nit picking, but ive managed to bugger this computer up once already. also, i think ive decided im going to buy an external hard drive soon, mainly so i can use time machine and the like. should clear a good 15 gb. (from a 60gb hard drive). thanks again for the responses

Works with Leopard.