Vanishing desktop in MacOSX 10.4.11 and still ...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I run MacOSX 10.4.11 on a PB G4/550 and an extra screen and

after installing a program to test, my desktop disapeared... only the background-desktop pictures stayed - menu-bar and dock (functional)

it is impossible to put something on the desktop (both screens)

actions token:

unistall dito prog

diskwarrior and ONYX, re-install upd MacOSX 410.4.11 combo, tried File Buddy to check on invisibility (user/desktop is NOT invisible), repair permissions, tried the advice in Apple Tech page thru Terminal (action: chflags nohidden ~/ --> answer: chflags: invalid flag: nohidden/ ).... to no avail

the HD's and files are still accesible thru opening a folder in Finder

can someone advice a solution ?

THANKS on forehand

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    >try creating a new user and see if the desktop is visible for that user.

>check the directory called desktop under your home directory and make sure the permissions are set right.

>Also take a look at finder options.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    1. made new user ... works OK

2. done "get info" about desktop under home Dir :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

>try creating a new user and see if the desktop is visible for that user.

>check the directory called desktop under your home directory and make sure the permissions are set right.

>Also take a look at finder options.

• Reply 3 of 7
    Thx for helping but I still having the problem

You can "Read & Write

Details

Owner ' Me' --> Acces 'Read & Write"

Group 'No Acces' --> Acces 'No Acces'

Others 'No Acces'

I've noticed also that whatever windows are open , when shutting down and restarting I always get the SAME windows back open and not the ones I left open on shutdown

Accessing the PB desktop or a external HD is thru a sidebar of a window

I'am getting desperate..

What now....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thx1173 View Post

Thx for helping but I still having the problem

You can "Read & Write

Details

Owner ' Me' --> Acces 'Read & Write"

Group 'No Acces' --> Acces 'No Acces'

Others 'No Acces'

I've noticed also that whatever windows are open , when shutting down and restarting I always get the SAME windows back open and not the ones I left open on shutdown

Accessing the PB desktop or a external HD is thru a sidebar of a window

I'am getting desperate..

What now....

Something like this happens to me if I have "Spaces" enabled (System Preferences). I resolved my issue by turning spaces off.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Look at your startup items under user accounts and see if you notice anything left over from the installation of the software that caused the issue.

Also, if you want to get your hands dirty, go to a terminal prompt and move .bashrc to a different folder. It is usually found under your home directory.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thx TALKSENSE101 for the suggestions, first nothing found; second Iwould like to make my hands dirty bit.... I aim a new new to UNIC and C..... if you could tell me what to type in "Terminal" to do the action, is it dangerous to move the ".bashrc" ?

greetings thx1173
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thx1173 View Post

if you could tell me what to type in "Terminal" to do the action, is it dangerous to move the ".bashrc" ?

removing .bashrc is a long shot. It isn't dangerous. .bashrc is your autoexec.bat. Most of the good OS-X applications don't depend on it.

(assuming $ is your command prompt.)

$ cd ~

$ mv .bashrc bashrc.backup

also try a

$ cd ~

$ chown -R username:groupname ./

to ensure file ownership is correct. Replace username and groupname with the correct ones. Note the "." before the forward slash (/)

You can do a

$ id

command to figure out your username and group name

---

also look at your console log file (you can find the app under utilities. look at the contents right after you login to see if any errors messages crop up for the account with the problem and also see what is different from an account without the problem)