iTurbo?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Attention all Programmers!!! I'v got a challenge for you. I think some hardcore programmer out their should make a program that will put the processor in a mac to full power, all the time. Instead of using, lets say 20% of your cpu to open Internet Explorer, it would use 100%, wouldn't using 100% of your cpu open the program faster and complete your requests faster? I know this would shorten the life of the computer by alot. But wouldn't it be nice to be able to use 100% of your cpu's when your working in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Maya, etc...

Everything would run a heck of alot faster.

Wha'd ya think?

P.S Program would be for OS X.

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: Altivec_2.0 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    you can do that by changing the priority can't you?

sudo renice (-20 to 20) (process number)

i wouldn't recommend going to -20 though, that means it has the highest priority and EVERYTHING else won't even work until that app is done to my knowledge

part of what makes OS X great is its ability to multi task instead of being a processor hog to the forthmost app, but i guess if your a professional and want to use just one app to its most that it would be nice to be able to do that
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Why not just run OS 9 if you want a non-multitasking system?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    A lot of the time the processor is not the bottleneck, bus and hard disk is... so it wouldn't matter anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The others have it.

Whether the processor's peaked at 100% is up to a lot of factors, including whether it's waiting for stuff from RAM or from glacially slow devices like the hard drive, any optical drive, or (slowest of all) the schmuck at the keyboard.

If they aren't, it's a matter of how efficient the code is. If there was a way to programmatically make all code maximally efficient, believe me, every compiler would include it.

If you think a given program is not using your machine as well as it could, write the developer.