can the mail app run news accounts?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
can the mail app run news accounts?

If so where do you set the settings for news servers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by kittylitterdesign:

<strong>can the mail app run news accounts?

If so where do you set the settings for news servers?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. Get halime or mt-newswatcher from versiontracker. Or you could use entourage. All of them work ok, but none work really well.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    maybe Hogwasher?

that looks good......... ??
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The one I'm currently most satisfied with is MacSOUP, and even that one suckz.

If only Newsflash would still be developed.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Sorry to disturb you all, but I can't understand that none of you has, as yet, mentioned the ONLY viable newsreader: Thoth.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Sorry to disturb you all, but I can't understand that none of you has, as yet, mentioned the ONLY viable newsreader: Thoth.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thoth isn't free. That takes it out of the running for a newsreader for me.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You get what you pay for. (Microsoft set aside, of course.)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Sorry to disturb you all, but I can't understand that none of you has, as yet, mentioned the ONLY viable newsreader: Thoth.</strong><hr></blockquote>

suckz
  • Reply 8 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Thoth isn't free. That takes it out of the running for a newsreader for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Neither is Hogwasher, but no one took that to task.

Thoth has been the best in my experience. MacSOUP is neat if you want an offline reader, or to queue up file downloads from newsgroups.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>

suckz</strong><hr></blockquote>

Might be fairly simple to type that up, but would you mind explaining?

I have tried Outlook Express (talk about sucking), Hogwasher (buggy) and Thoth. Thoth is rock stable, it is very nice to use (maybe you have to get used to it first, but still), it is very communicative (you always know what it is doing, and surfing newsgroups and downloading binaries and so on, you tend to lose that out of sight) and it is beautiful for downloading many (thousands) of attachments ('binaries') in a big queue.

I haven't tried MacSOUP, I might have to try that, but as I have a winning team... why would I?