iMac - When will it be updated?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, New to this forum, but i've been lurking for some time.

I'm going to buy the 2.8Ghz 24" iMac - i'm just a bit concerened about the low spec GPU. While I'm fairly confident the freezing issues have been sorted now - I can't help feeling that the video card is a little bit mid range (at best) for a machine that'll cost me £1200.

My question is - Will Apple upgrade the video card in the next update? and when will that update come along? I've heard that January is a possibility, but what with all the other likely updates coming along for the Mac Pro/iPhone/Apple TV, is it really that likely. Should I just buy one now and be done with it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Don't know when the iMac will be updated but when it moves to Penryn cpus I hope they replace the 2600 series ATI cards with the 3800 series cards from ATI. They're gotten some nice reviews and would be a nice improvement.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

I'm going to buy the 2.8Ghz 24" iMac - i'm just a bit concerened about the low spec GPU.

Yer not the only one. I'd be tempted by the iMac if they just had a better GPU. There is even the option of putting in the Geforce 8800M laptop card! It's just about out there now. Reviewed. A very powerful laptop card that probably runs as cool as the 2600 Pro in the iMac and is probably considerably more powerful...!

Quote:

Don't know when the iMac will be updated but when it moves to Penryn cpus I hope they replace the 2600 series ATI cards with the 3800 series cards from ATI. They're gotten some nice reviews and would be a nice improvement.

Well. I'd take those over the rather lame 2600Pro. What was Apple thinking? They even lopped off half the ram off the card.

There's a strong case for waiting for the next iMac revision. Cooler Penryn chips. Them may even bump the base iMac to 2.4 gig. And the mid range to 2.8?

And AMD's new cards aren't bad at all...surely Apple will...go for both of these options as they perform better AND run cooler? The current 2600 Pro...just isn't good enough for me. Not one bit.

Waits for Macworld...patiently?

I'd wait. Hell yeh...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

There's a strong case for waiting for the next iMac revision. Cooler Penryn chips. Them may even bump the base iMac to 2.4 gig. And the mid range to 2.8?

And AMD's new cards aren't bad at all...surely Apple will...go for both of these options as they perform better AND run cooler? The current 2600 Pro...just isn't good enough for me. Not one bit.

Waits for Macworld...patiently?

I agree. I think I'll wait and see what Apple do with the next iMac before getting one. I still haven't convinced my wife yet that we should get one so I'll wait for Penryn iMacs before trying to get her to give in and get one.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree. I think I'll wait and see what Apple do with the next iMac before getting one. I still haven't convinced my wife yet that we should get one so I'll wait for Penryn iMacs before trying to get her to give in and get one.

With all the posts you've made in less than 2 years, when do you find time to say hello to your wife, let alone convince her to get a new iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

With all the posts you've made in less than 2 years, when do you find time to say hello to your wife, let alone convince her to get a new iMac.

I've plenty of time talk to my wife. I do most my posting while at work, like I am now. The benefits of being your own boss.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to wait - I'm in no hurry. I just don't think I could live with such a poor card. Fingers crossed Apple do something about it in January - the money's burning a hole in my pocket.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

poor card

Damn straight.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac is a good place to go before purchasing a Mac.