buddy lost all his email

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey my buddy lost all his email.... he uses the mail program built into the mac.

I don't use that crappy program on my mac, i use thunderbird.... so I got no clue how to fix it.

Does anyone know where it went?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Did he delete an account? I think Mail takes the emails with it.

He'd need file recovery software to get them back.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    to be honest I don't know what he did..

he said he wasn't paying attention and he just went to close his mail and some message popped up on the screen and he hit enter not reading what it said.

then he reopened his mail program and all his old mail was gone

but he was getting new messages :-)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I'm writing this on a PC at work, so I'm not looking at Mail and I'm working from memory.

On the top of the mailbox list, some of the items (with triangles in front) show: 'On my Mac' AND on the "ISP" you're using. Check both out. The emails MAY be on one of them. If your friend pressed enter on "Rebuild", the emails were probably deleted.

In that case, Marvin's suggestion to use file recovery software applies.

BTW, MacMail is not crappy. It is a powerful app if you use it properly.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I second that Mail.app is really good. Having tried Thunderbird, I dismissed it quickly. Mail.app is the better of the two. As a mail reader, I haven't found anything better.

Why don't you send your friend here?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    This is why I prefer POP over IMAP.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

This is why I prefer POP over IMAP.

You mean IMAP over POP. IMAP keeps you emails on the server and local whereas POP downloads and deletes from the server. If I remember correctly.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

You mean IMAP over POP. IMAP keeps you emails on the server and local whereas POP downloads and deletes from the server. If I remember correctly.

Not necessarily. I have POP with Comcast and have the option to leave the copy on the server for one day, one week, one month, or remove the copy from the server right away.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    IMAP does the automatically, and it stays there forever.

Anyway, his mail is likely in ~/Library/Mail. Get your buddy to re-import it.