anything I can do to speed up my mac mini?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone.. I am new around here...

I have had my Mac for over a year now....

anyway...

I have a mac mini, one of the first ones... i think its like 1.46 GHZ IBM processor

Well long story short, it runs slower than a turd running up hill....

Mostly my buddies come over and play World of Warcraft on it... but with all the latest expansions and updates to wow.... the poor little mac mini can't keep up.....

I know its basically just lap top hardware (so i am probably pretty limited).... I upgraded the ram to 1GB... it has the Radeon 200 on board (so i know this can't be upgraded) which may be most of my problems.... but I have turned down all the graphics in the game to a minimum... so what I was wondering is if maybe I can upgrade the processor to something faster?....... I won't mind crappy graphics.... but I am hoping a faster processor might at least smooth things out..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    That game would probably run a bit faster on the Intel Mini but I wouldn't recommend that for gaming. The cheapest option for you would be a refurb or second hand model of the old 17" iMac. Just make sure to get one with the X1600 graphics card, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-iMAC-17-2G...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/iMac-Intel-Core-...QQcmdZViewItem

You should be able to get around $300-400 for your current Mini so you're talking around $400 for the upgrade.

It's not a minor upgrade in case you think it's not worth it, the X1600 is faster than the GMA by a factor of 10 and the GMA is slightly better than the Radeon 9200. So you would be able to put your WoW graphics up quite high on the iMac.

It's disappointing when PC users get cheaper initial hardware and can upgrade their parts for $50 or so whereas us mac users not only pay more initially, we have to upgrade entire machines for the sake of a $50 card but that's the way it is and probably will be for a long time to come.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    That doesn't sound like a bad option at all...

I am going to look into that.... especially since I have to have a mac to help my web hosting customer trouble shoot ftp problems and stuff....

i just saw on ebay.... looks like i might be able to get about 350 for my current mac mini
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Will attaching an external monitor, like an 19" LCD, slow it down at all?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

Will attaching an external monitor, like an 19" LCD, slow it down at all?

Nope.

The mini can handle a 23" apple display without a hitch too.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Nope.

Impressive. Most impressive.

• Reply 6 of 9
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Lol, nice!

------

Darth: "I am your Father!!".............

Luke: "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! ?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!"
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Nope.

I understand that the Mini would run it, since it's the only display it's running, but I was wondering how the 17" iMac handles dual displays and if there's any performance loss due to it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Yeah, what Marvin said. Gaming is all about the graphics chip, and on Apple's consumer range, only the iMac has a decent one.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

I understand that the Mini would run it, since it's the only display it's running, but I was wondering how the 17" iMac handles dual displays and if there's any performance loss due to it.

No performance loss whatsoever on the desktop, nor in gaming if you keep the game resolution the same it was on internal screen.