How to bring iMac back home?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys, I'm totally new here

I lost my Macbook last friday (left it in the cab ), so I'm now considering about working my butt out to earn some money.

Well just want to ask you guys some questions about iMac. Do you really think that iMac deserved the money that it worths?

And ultimately, i'm now studying abroad, and i travel back and forth from my country to Korea very often, do you think it is possible for me to bring the iMac (if i'm going to buy it) back home considering its huge size (it's not like a 13.3" laptop which you just bring it with you to the plane lol)

Looking forward to see you guys' comment. Every help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Requiemist View Post

Hi guys, I'm totally new here

I lost my Macbook last friday (left it in the cab ), so I'm now considering about working my butt out to earn some money.

Well just want to ask you guys some questions about iMac. Do you really think that iMac deserved the money that it worths. How about buying a 24" screen, a Playstation 3 (or Xbox360), and a Powerbook (probably those things gonna have the price around 1500-2000$ which equals the price of an iMac)

And ultimately, i'm now studying abroad, and i travel back and forth from my country to Korea very often, do you think it is possible for me to bring the iMac (if i'm going to buy it) back home considering its huge size (it's not like a 13.3" laptop which you just bring it with you to the plane lol)

Looking forward to see you guys' comment. Every help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The iMac is going to be tough to bring with you. I wouldn't recommend stashing it in carry-on, and it will be stolen if it's checked. Shipping it could be costly, depending on how often you travel.

Where's your country? If you live in Eastern Russia, China, or Japan, shipping might not be so bad. I'm guessing Hong Kong since your English is excellent. If Russia, though, you can just stash it on the secure rail corridor. I actually don't think that's for personal items.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Buy a Mac Mini - it's the most portable of all the machines and cheapest and will fit into carry on luggage. If you had the old Macbook, the new Mini is the same speed. Then just buy a cheap display at both ends if possible and leave them.

Get insurance so you can claim for the machine if it happens again.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Buy a Mac Mini - it's the most portable of all the machines and cheapest and will fit into carry on luggage. If you had the old Macbook, the new Mini is the same speed. Then just buy a cheap display at both ends if possible and leave them.

Get insurance so you can claim for the machine if it happens again.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest too

I love my mac mini, there cheap, fast, and suber small.

And IMO there very upgradable, if you know what your doing.

Get the mini, save some money.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    A mini plus two monitors, two keyboards, and two mice seems to be more expensive and less useful than a replacement macbook.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

A mini plus two monitors, two keyboards, and two mice seems to be more expensive and less useful than a replacement macbook.

One keyboard and mouse but yeah a replacement Macbook for this situation would be best. The Mini is just better than the iMac the OP was considering.