proteus

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can someone explain to me how I am supposed to use this program??

i mean i try to sign on with my @mac.com account, that didn't work

and then i try my AIM account and all of those contacts show up as being offline... whats the deal?

has anyone used proteus with AIM successfully?

It looks good, but it doesn't work

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The big deal breaker for me with Proteus/Adium/Fire:

zero support for mac.com names.

You can't login as a mac.com user and you can't chat with anyone that uses a mac.com name. Simple as that. Yuck.

I've also tried unsuccessfully to set it up with a regular AIM name. After a half hour of tinkering I gave up and dumped it in the trash.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Proteus works fine for me (2.2 Alpha 11e.)

And Brad is right, they don't support the @ and . symbols in screen names at all, mostly because they use the TOC protocol instead of OSCAR (what AIM/iChat/Trillian use.)

You can still chat with them in chat rooms (they appear as UnsupportedScreenName1, 2, etc.) but you cannot IM them or anything else.

I keep Proteus around only for MSN and ICQ.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I use Proteus for my ICQ and MSN accounts and iChat for my AIM account. A bit messy to have to clients at once...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yes, I would probably dump iChat in favor of Proteus if Justin somehow figured out how to get it working with OSCAR, though that probably isn't likely. Would be nice if he could at least get file transfer working, contrary to popular belief, it is possible with TOC, Adam Iser had some code working for Adium that he dumped because it didn't fit his idea of what a chat app should be.