Simple iChat / AIM Question...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have done some looking, but have not been able to find out what if you can use your .Mac account in the AIM entry under preferences. Secondly, is there any reason why, on a Mac specific Forum like this, there is not a place to enter your iChat (.Mac) ID? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You can't use a .Mac account in AIM. AIM uses screennames (not an e-mail address like .Mac), but those screennames have to be available. Once a screenname has been registered, it can't be used again so you'll have to find a new one if it's not available.

For the second one, I'm not sure if .Mac account fields are built into vBulletin. I'm sure there's a way to enable it, but is it really a big deal?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    NOT TRUE!

.Mac is merely an AIM client (also a Jabber client). you can run AIM (not iChat) and enter "[email protected]" and it's password in place of a screenname/password and , bingo, you're on AIM.

iChat is merely a better interface (but only with regards to elegance... it doesn't access ALL the features of AIM.)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

.Mac is merely an AIM client (also a Jabber client). you can run AIM (not iChat) and enter "[email protected]" and it's password in place of a screenname/password and , bingo, you're on AIM.

I tried this and it works like a charm. Thanks for the help.