how many of you have upgraded your Mini?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Im going to be puting 3 gigs of ram in and maby a bigger internal hhd but what have u done. I want to know what the extremes if any there are for this small box. Ive seen custom boxes so far. what have you done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I've upgraded about a hundred minis now. It's actually a pretty good box to go at because it's easy to learn.

There is a company that offers a part to replace your optical drive with a second hard drive. we've had a couple of our customers request this since the CD drive doesn't offer much when the mini is acting as a server.

I'm looking forward to trying the install.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthem View Post

Im going to be puting 3 gigs of ram in and maby a bigger internal hhd but what have u done. I want to know what the extremes if any there are for this small box. Ive seen custom boxes so far. what have you done?

I just upgraded my mini to 2GB's.

It's the 1.83Ghz mini with 80GB HD and Combo drive, I'm eventually going to upgrade the cpu to 2.0Ghz and the combo drive to a Superdrive.

The mini is my favorite machine to mod (aka mess with)

I can post photos of the take apart if you want.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Outstanding. We've got beautiful new iMacs-- both 20 and super 24, but I miss my intel mini/23" fp display combination, too. So, you folks think it is worth the upgrade. Can the memory be brought over?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

It's the 1.83Ghz mini with 80GB HD and Combo drive, I'm eventually going to upgrade the cpu to 2.0Ghz and the combo drive to a Superdrive.

I have the same spec mini, I recently upgraded it myself to 2GB memory.

Unfortunately since then almost every program has at some point crashed and quit.

I'm pretty sure I didn't damage anything in the hardware, but I wasn't able to get hold of an anti static strap when I did it, although I took all the precautions I could. This is my first possibility.

The second might be that the ram itself isn't quite right somehow.

Has anyone had the same experience? Any advice?

• Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tecton View Post

I have the same spec mini, I recently upgraded it myself to 2GB memory.

Unfortunately since then almost every program has at some point crashed and quit.

I'm pretty sure I didn't damage anything in the hardware, but I wasn't able to get hold of an anti static strap when I did it, although I took all the precautions I could. This is my first possibility.

The second might be that the ram itself isn't quite right somehow.

Has anyone had the same experience? Any advice?

Was the memory you put in 200-pin SODIMM PC2-5300 667Mhz?

I bought These.

I didn't use an anti-static strap either (couldn't find where I put it)... but you should also make sure your not wearing cotton.

You might want to research about the memory you put in there and see if any other people have had this problem.

I've taken my mini completely apart, including taking the CPU heatsink off and the motherboard out. But thats because I'm just curious
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Outstanding. We've got beautiful new iMacs-- both 20 and super 24, but I miss my intel mini/23" fp display combination, too. So, you folks think it is worth the upgrade.

If you've got the old mini with 512MB of memory then yes you've got to upgrade.

If you've got 1GB of memory then it really depends on what you do, but it will increase the speed if you upgrade.

It's cheap, follow the link in the above post.

That memory is for the Intel Mac mini's, for the G4 Mac mini memory you'll have to get different ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Can the memory be brought over?

Um... what?

Parker
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I have updated both my Minis to 2 GB of RAM. It is pretty simple to do.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarryTheSprout View Post

I have updated both my Minis to 2 GB of RAM. It is pretty simple to do.

Yes, Very simple. Just like Apple

I love my mini!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Was the memory you put in 200-pin SODIMM PC2-5300 667Mhz?

I bought These.

I didn't use an anti-static strap either (couldn't find where I put it)... but you should also make sure your not wearing cotton.

You might want to research about the memory you put in there and see if any other people have had this problem.

I've taken my mini completely apart, including taking the CPU heatsink off and the motherboard out. But thats because I'm just curious

well the specs are:

Buffalo

pc2-5300 200 pin s.o.dimm

system profiler says:

Sizet1 GB

TypetDDR2 SDRAM

Speedt667 MHz

StatustOK

Today I reinstalled Leopard thinking that this also may be messing with things. I did a clean install, then installed the software updates. Then it crashed again.

I hate the grey screen!

Anyone have any more advice??
  • Reply 10 of 15
    If only we can upgrade the GPU and Processor
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tecton View Post

well the specs are:

Buffalo

pc2-5300 200 pin s.o.dimm

system profiler says:

Sizet1 GB

TypetDDR2 SDRAM

Speedt667 MHz

StatustOK

Today I reinstalled Leopard thinking that this also may be messing with things. I did a clean install, then installed the software updates. Then it crashed again.

I hate the grey screen!

Anyone have any more advice??

Didn't you say you put in 2Gb's?

I'm not sure why it would crash on you. It might be something wrong with the memory.

I would try reinstalling the old memory you had in before, then rebooting to see if it crashs again.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

If Apple doesn't field a mid-tower, I'll have to decide between the mini and iMac. I'm putting off that decision until January. Yes, I'd like to see your mini take-apart photos. That might help me make up my mind.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

If Apple doesn't field a mid-tower, I'll have to decide between the mini and iMac. I'm putting off that decision until January. Yes, I'd like to see your mini take-apart photos. That might help me make up my mind.

I'll see if I can post them tonight or tomorrow.

I'll give you the link soon.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

If only we can upgrade the GPU and Processor

You can upgrade the processor on a mini too.

Real easy.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Heres a tutorial on how to upgrade your mini:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=81881