Last Night I Dreamt Of Transformers RTS Game

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The dream started off differently. However it ended up like there were a lot of these red-coloured units crusing around a map and kicking ass Command&Conquer style.

Then suddenly there was an Ultra Magnus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Magnus) unit from which "unpacked" Optimus Prime. Optimus Prime in robot mode and Ultra Magnus in unpacked-truck/car-carrier mode then started fighting back various red-colored units, the "good guys" were mostly blue, then there was a red-coloured version of Optimus Prime.

Hella cool. I think they should really make a Transformers real time strategy game[1]. The emphasis on real time.

I've always wanted to see an RTS where fine, you have all the RTS elemens ala Dawn Of War, C&C, Supreme Commander.

But then, I want to be able to "drive"/"pilot" individual units eg. Tau gunship, Transformers Optimus, C&C planes, etc. etc. The computer would take over of the main RTS during "real time action" part, even in multiplayer that would be cool, the team taking one side could have a few players as "drivers"/"pilots" crusing around the map while one or more team members handle the real time strategy main roles eg. mining resources, producing units, upgrading buildings.

I'm sure this (not necessarily the Transformers) concept has beein cruising around major game development circles. However I have not really seen successful commercial implementations.

This concept combined with the Transformers franchise, well, I've just handed you all a multi-million dollar idea.

[1]Footnote: In C&C, Starcraft, and DawnOfWar there are many units which have different modes. These are really fun units to have. Transformers units would be perfect for this. Optimus Prime as truck, robot. Ultra Magnus as truck (can carry other units, including one hero unit eg. Optimus Prime), robot, or "unpacked truck" (eg. mobile construction vehicle). Megatron as alien jet, big ass gun, or robot mode. Megatron in gun-mode can be like a standalone-artillery style, or smaller style gun carried/shot by Soundwave. Speaking of Soundwave [best Transformers character ever], he/it would have robot mode, and big-ass-speaker-audio-weapon mode [ala Atreides units in Dune2] ... Soundwave could spawn other units (eg in Dawn of War Tau Empire) like the cool Ravage[2]. Unicron could be big ass super-hero unit in robot mode. Then for one or more "maps" it could be fought on the surface of the Unicron planet, or inside the bowels of Unicron planet itself.

[2]I mean, how cool is this for an RTS unit, especially one that is not standalone and has to be spawned from Soundwave:

This and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_%28Transformers%29 could be stealthed and go on covert missions

(the assasin-style gameplay in RTS games)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It is pertinent to reflect on our recent ultra-blockbuster[?] Transformers movie. I thought it was quite good, expecting the worst after I almost threw up after FantasticFour:SilverS and the supercraptastic Spiderman3 WTF.

In my opinion only the original Transformers cartoon, Transformers Movie [epic good] and Transformers (2007) are decent. I really don't know what up with that Energon, especially BeastWars, and other rubbish.

I think Transformers Movie was very compacted, it has a lot of elements that could flesh it out into a StarWars (hopefully not as cheesy) level saga/ multimovie/ etc.

I'm sure it is in the works.

As applied to the RTS, two elements from the movie would be very important. Firstly is the sophisticated transformation elements which has partially been translated into the recent not-so-great? Transformers (action) Game. Secondly is plot, settings (earth arctic, earth urban, cybertron pre-destruction, cybertron ravaged by war, surface of the cube, inside of the cube ["dungeon-crawling" style of gameplay eg. Starcraft, C&C]).

The element from the movie that would not apply is MichaelBay/etc(?)'s insistence that "mass" is preserved between modes of each Transformers.

The rant I want to make is here. THESE ARE VERY SOPHISTICATED ALIEN ROBOT BEINGS FROM OUTER SPACE. So in other words, let's take Megatron. He is a big ass alien robot thing. Good. Can transform into alien jet. Good. He can also transform into a much smaller powerful gun handled by Starscream/Soundwave/etc. Movie producers said this bad. Wrong, retards! Let's think about high school physics and concepts of mass, volume and density. I leave it to you to take it from there.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I think the movie was very essential in one thing: you can take the disparate elements of the franchise, and with a strong enough artistic vision, directed consistently, create a convincing piece of pop media. The RTS game would be driven along these lines. Fan input should be considered, yes, but certainly a strong directorial hand is important.

They say that like movies a lot of computer games are quite cliched nowadays. I would sometimes like to perceive it as there is now an established "game language" similar to "film language".
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Do you realize you are debating yourself here?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    In classic "sunilraman" multi-post style.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In classic "sunilraman" multi-post style.

so are you basically speaking of an rts/fps? that's a pretty dandy idea, i mean, it would capture the love of all sort of gamers. me and you, we should go in business, with this uber idea.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

so are you basically speaking of an rts/fps? that's a pretty dandy idea, i mean, it would capture the love of all sort of gamers. me and you, we should go in business, with this uber idea.

Yay! Heh. We need to build up our uber game team. The thing is that I like RTS, but I've always been screaming at the units when it wanders off... I can't control everything at once...!! I'm like,

Yes! Please take the whole team into that deep ravine with all the turrets and stuff.

Very fun. No worries

Wow, your super hero move is like totally awesome. Don't worry about it taking, oh, HALF AN HOUR to regenerate that power. In the meantime, go up yourself with your basic melee attack against that horde of evil looking things. Don't run away. Why run away?

Yes, why not just go into that unexplored part of the map by yourself... say, don't worry about your stealth mode being exposed, and oh, you should be doing this when your overall health is very very low.

Either I am terribly bad at unit management (probably) despite rally points, guard mode, etc. etc. etc. or ... well, no or...

Just that in some cases, especially those "assasin" [perfect for FPS in RTS] missions, or UT2004-Onslaught type unit battles, I swear if I took a unit by myself I would kick major ass. Save the team a lot of resources too, whether it be energy, money, tiberium, etc.

The other thing is that I *hate* micromanaging units, especially hero units.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

He can also transform into a much smaller powerful gun handled by Starscream/Soundwave/etc. Movie producers said this bad. Wrong, retards!

I think this reasoning went out the window as soon as we had the Soul Cube/All-Spark/whatever shrinking down to 1/1000 scale and being tossed around like a football by Sam/Spike/Buster/whoever.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

I think this reasoning went out the window as soon as we had the Soul Cube/All-Spark/whatever shrinking down to 1/1000 scale and being tossed around like a football by Sam/Spike/Buster/whoever.

Thank you. PLANET SPAWNING CREATOR OF LIFE cube shrinking into a handheld thingy. Must have antigravity, since is mass must be well.... *sigh*
  • Reply 9 of 10
    i myself am into fps's, i like face to face kills rather than non personal killing like that of an rts or rpg.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i myself am into fps's, i like face to face kills rather than non personal killing like that of an rts or rpg.

That's why I really would like to see FPS elements in RTS. Melee combat 1st person, or shooting at enemies first person... while the computer or other online team members handle the RTS "management stuff".