AT&T chief confirms 3G iPhone on the way

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc. will introduce a version of the iPhone next year that can download from the Internet at a rate much faster than the existing version, AT&T Inc. chief executive Randall Stephenson confirmed Wednesday.

The device will operate on third-generation (3G) wireless networks, Stephenson said while speaking at a meeting of the Churchill Club in Santa Clara, California.

"You'll have it next year," he said, explaining that he was unaware of how much more the new version will cost than the existing $399 model because Apple chief executive Steve Jobs "will dictate what the price of the phone is.''

A 3G iPhone has long been believed to be part of Jobs' strategy to meet his company's self-imposed goal of selling 10 million during the 2008 calendar year. However, he noted in September that battery life on current 3G devices was too poor to commission a release in the immediate future.

"We've got to see the battery lives for 3G get back up into the five-plus-hour range,'' he said at the time. "Hopefully we'll see that late next year.''

In speaking to Bloomberg, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said the prospect of a more capable iPhone may make some shoppers put off buying an iPhone this year, but said the number of shoppers who delay a purchase won't be "enough to make a difference."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I bet it is the same price and the present one will be discontinued.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I bet it is the same price and the present one will be discontinued.

Do you think they will let existing iPhone owners buy the updated 3G without a contract extension?
  • Reply 3 of 117
    That's good news, but not really unexpected. There will always be bigger, better and faster devices coming along. Meanwhile I'm still very, very happy with my current iPhone (on O2).
  • Reply 4 of 117
    Also, how spotty will the 3G coverage be in the US?
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Coverage doesn't really matter. 3G phones can step down to 2G/2.5G when there is no faster network available.
  • Reply 6 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_kola View Post

Coverage doesn't really matter. 3G phones can step down to 2G/2.5G when there is no faster network available.

But I am asking about AT&T and 3G service. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • Reply 7 of 117
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_kola View Post

my issue with 3g is that i want to buy a phone that will last the contract time. 3g is inevitable, i don't want to buy now and have to pull an ebay. i like to pay once for things. now if my contract was 1 year, different story. but still i would have to deal with the $$$$ for the phone.

also 08 is a long time i'm hoping for jan announcement for march release or feb release. SJ says he will be agressive.....well SJ get moving
  • Reply 8 of 117
    As long as it has 3G and a true GPS, i'm on board for one. The lack of those two features are why I didn't buy the previous iPhone.

Hopefully there will be a 16GB and an 8GB for $399 and $299, but it's more likely they will keep the 8GB at $399 and introduce a higher price point for the 16GB.

Apple/AT&T should introduce some kind of language stating that if you buy an iPhone and sign a new 2-year contract, if you upgrade your phone, you won't be required to sign a new 2-year contract as long as you are upgrading to another iPhone. I would have purchased a 2G iPhone after the price drop if I was assured that I wouldn't have to sign a new two year contract if I wanted to upgrade to a 3G when they come out.

Does anyone think the new iPhone will have a slide out keyboard? All the companies that put out “iPhone like” phones with touchsceens etc all have slide out keyboards. Think Apple will cave to this, or stay true to the current form and just upgrade the insides?
  • Reply 9 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. will introduce a version of the iPhone next year that can download from the Internet at a rate much faster than the existing version, AT&T Inc. chief executive Randall Stephenson confirmed Wednesday.

Odd that this sort of announcement would come from outside Apple Inc. don't you think? Will Mr. Stephenson feel the wrath of Steve over this announcement?
  • Reply 10 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by essential View Post

Does anyone think the new iPhone will have a slide out keyboard? All the companies that put out ?iPhone like? phones with touchsceens etc all have slide out keyboards. Think Apple will cave to this, or stay true to the current form and just upgrade the insides?

I think you're right. They're going to get rid of the technically advanced soft keyboard and provide a new, stylish, slide-out keyboard with advanced clickiness. I also heard that they are replacing the Google Maps application with a Rand-McNally Road Atlas. This way you can view your maps anytime, anywhere, with or without network coverage.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    Decisions, decisions. I Lust after an iPhone. Love Verizon, Hate Cingular/ATT. BUT I am gong to by the current iPhone, sell it on eBay when the 3G comes out. How much can the diff cost anyway????
  • Reply 12 of 117
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    The reported power problems with 3G chipsets have only been half the problem.

In order to have 3G support one also needs a 3G network, and AT&T has been struggling to roll it out nationwide. Only 38 states have 3G access, and even there it's limited to a handful of cities.

See: http://www.isights.org/2007/11/3g-iphones-defi.html
  • Reply 13 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Do you think they will let existing iPhone owners buy the updated 3G without a contract extension?

I sure hope so, even better how about a return and update hardware on current iPhones at a modest price and very fast turn around time. Perhaps even a system where they swap out them so immediately returned with new hardware, I don't care if it is a different physical phone so long as in good condition.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    If iPhone sales weren't flat on black Friday they sure will be for the rest of the holiday season. What bad timing to make that announcement! That just shows how AT&T was a bad choice for a carrier. Who would buy an iPhone at this time now? And I agreee it will be for the same price and with 16G.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

In order to have 3G support one also needs a 3G network, and AT&T has been struggling to roll it out nation wide. Only 38 states have 3G access, and even there it's limited to a handful of cities.

I think our US-located friends are seeing things a little too US-centric here.

It's not a question of 3G-coverage in the US, it's about the rest of the world, especially Asia and Europe with much more advanced 3G networks.

Please understand, the iPhones lack of 3G got criticised most in countries, were 3G is practically standard and using EDGE means going back to the stone ages. Over here, virtually any other phone except the iPhone has 3G capabilities.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Dream on! And you'll only have to pay for the difference on the 2 models when you trade in the older version!
  • Reply 17 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't regret ordering the present 8GB model (€270). I'm going to let that tied me over until there's a 32GB HSDPA version in 2009.
  • Reply 18 of 117
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

If iPhone sales weren't flat on black Friday they sure will be for the rest of the holiday season. What bad timing to make that announcement!

First: Why do you think this small comment is getting press? They know anything with Apple will get clicks/coverage and negative articles are 2x as good cause Apple haters are looking for any foible, and Apple fans want the product.

Second: Current iPhone is awesome, hard to believe people would wait another 8 months (more likely 10) for product that is more or less the same (1.5x effective network speed and GPS in case you have no clue where you are in the world). The next one will be better but...I already cant believe how well the current one works and its associated software is and it will be getting better as time goes on as (unlike virtually every other phone out there) its a software driven device and can be substantially upgraded through updates. Waiting more than 3-4months for a product makes little sense imo unless its a major upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    I can tell that the chart is old. AT&T has been dumping money into upgrading their network across the country. We got 3G a day after Thanksgiving, and boy what a difference it makes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

The reported power problems with 3G chipsets have only been half the problem.

In order to have 3G support one also needs a 3G network, and AT&T has been struggling to roll it out nationwide. Only 38 states have 3G access, and even there it's limited to a handful of cities.

See: http://www.isights.org/2007/11/3g-iphones-defi.html

But with that being said, Dec 31, 2009 is next year, so who knows how early. We are just getting those 3Ghz chips Steve promised us in 2004.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

I already cant believe how well the current one works and its associated software is and it will be getting better as time goes on as (unlike virtually every other phone out there) its a software driven device and can be substantially upgraded through updates.

I've been an Apple owner/fan since 1981 and have owned dozens if not hundreds of Apple products. But I'm very disappointed by the lack of "substantial upgrades" to the iPhone. I'm beginning to think all of the talk about great new features and upgrades was a bunch of marketing BS. Cripes, they can't even seem to get e-mail into landscape mode, a very simple improvement. The only noticeable software addition has been a way for Apple to make even more money off me.

It's a great phone, but after having one since the intro day, I can honestly say it's got a lot of holes in the usability of the software.