New iMac owner with Windows question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just ordered my iMAc 20" with Intel core 2 and I want to run windows. Can I get the full version of windows vista or just go with windows xp. Also I saw a program called VIRTUAL PC FOR MAC 7.0 WITH WINDOWS XP HOME.

What exactly is this and what do i need just for home use. I know i need boot camp and I will be getting parallel.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robertm101 View Post

Can I get the full version of windows vista or just go with windows xp.

Can you clarify this question?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Can you clarify this question?

I just ordered an iMac 20" with intel duo core 2.

I want to run windows on it. I was just going to buy a full version of windows xp, but if I am going to spend the money should I just get Vista or stick with Xp.

Also I saw microsoft software called VIRTUAL PC FOR MAC 7.0 WITH WINDOWS XP HOME. What exactly is this software and could I use that instead of xp.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    MS bought Virtual PC and now bundles it with XP.

However, since the advent of dual booting Macs, Virtual PC is completely irrelevant, a holdover from pre-Intel days.

What you want to do is get a copy of XP and a copy of Parallels. Parallels will run XP side by side with your Mac environment, more or less at full speed (Virtual PC was famously dog slow).

As far as XP vs. Vista, I would go with XP at this point. The Parallels people have been making huge strides in speed and functionality, and whatever Vista breaks on PCs it is likely to break on a Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    or if it's not necessary to have xp, go for an even lower version of windows, like 98 or something, but seeing as you have xp, just use xp
  • Reply 5 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Huh. Looks like Vista's licensing small print makes it illegal to run Vista in software like Parallels for all editions but Business.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robertm101 View Post

I just ordered my iMAc 20" with Intel core 2 and I want to run windows. Can I get the full version of windows vista or just go with windows xp. Also I saw a program called VIRTUAL PC FOR MAC 7.0 WITH WINDOWS XP HOME.

What exactly is this and what do i need just for home use. I know i need boot camp and I will be getting parallel.

Thanks.

What do you want to do with you windows boot? If you want to game then get the boot camp download and follow directions. Windows will run full speed. If you want to run some windows apps that don't come on the Mac, then Parallels is probably the best solution as you do not have reboot your machine each time you want to change OS environments. If you just need to work with MS office documents then just get Office for the Mac as it is cross platform compatible. No need for windows. Think about what you want to do in windows as it will determine your solution.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

However, since the advent of dual booting Macs, Virtual PC is completely irrelevant, a holdover from pre-Intel days.

Not only that, but VirtualPC a) won't even run on an Intel Mac, and b) MS isn't going to update it to do so.

It's a dead product.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Not only that, but VirtualPC a) won't even run on an Intel Mac, and b) MS isn't going to update it to do so.

It's a dead product.

And just as we all thought it would be when they bought it.

Good riddance. Go Parallels, BootCamp, CrossoverMac, et al. At least, if ya want Windows on your Mac. For me? No.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Please forgive me resurrecting this old thread. This comes after a search of posts.

I have finally bitten the bullet and bought my first Intel Mac, a 15" MacBook Pro. This is one heck of a computer!

However, has anyone advice to offer about taking a fully licensed copy of XP Pro out of VirtualPC and loading it under Fusion. VMWare requires a bootable disk. I unzipped the copy from VPC and was left with a 1.33GB package entitled 'Windows XP Professional.vhd.002'.

All the best
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

However, has anyone advice to offer about taking a fully licensed copy of XP Pro out of VirtualPC and loading it under Fusion. VMWare requires a bootable disk. I unzipped the copy from VPC and was left with a 1.33GB package entitled 'Windows XP Professional.vhd.002'.

All the best

That's actually an interesting question. There are many VPC users that would like to import their disk images to VMWare. But the information you can find about this is rather conflicting or ambiguous. In this Macworld discussion someone says that this is not possible, while someone else says that it is. You can try and tell us what it gives.

EDIT: I found this one too. So it should somehow work.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

That's actually an interesting question. There are many VPC users that would like to import their disk images to VMWare. But the information you can find about this is rather conflicting or ambiguous. In this Macworld discussion someone says that this is not possible, while someone else says that it is. You can try and tell us what it gives.

EDIT: I found this one too. So it should somehow work.

Thank you - a bit to think about.

Incidentally, I do not have VPC 7 running currently but would like to work with the install disks.

All the best.