IMAP Gmail in iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have set up IMAP Gmail on my iPhone for getting my business email. While you can set up Gmail to feature your business email as a sent from (& reply-to) address when you use Safari, I have not found how to do this when sending mail from the iPhone.

Any help?

Many thanks,

iSmiley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    in the account settings, use the Reply-to address you want as your email address. then use the original mail host's smtp server. this worked when i set it up for a client, forwarding from a yahoo business account to gmail. (silly yahoo gives free imap for iPhone to their free customers, but not their paying business customers) hope it works in your case too.

let me know how it goes.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Hello, thanks for your note, but where do you enter a reply-to address?

I was looking in Settings / Mail / Accounts / Gmail. In there i only have IMAP account info, incoming and outgoing mail server and then Advanced settings, but nowhere to key in a reply-to address.

Maybe this is for the Gmail POP accounts only?

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I suspect we are talking about the settings in the Gmail account at Google, not on the iPhone, for setting the reply-to address. You can do that in your Gmail account settings.

The suggestion sounds great, except that my ISP blocks use of its smtp server when the connection comes from off its own network. So it won't work for me. I bet many (maybe most) providers do something similar to prevent the use of their mail serves to deliver spam.

On the other hand, if the smtp server could be accessed via password, then setting the original account's smtp server as the outgoing mail server rather than the Gmail server when you configure the iPhone side could work. Wish it did for me.

Did I misunderstand?

Edit: Now that I think more about this, even this doesn't sound like it can work. The iPhone is going to have to get the ability to set the Reply-to address, which it currently lacks. There isn't any way for the Gmail account setting at Google to affect the outgoing mail from the iPhone if it is being sent through a non-Gmail smtp server.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Oh, yes, it is a piece of cake getting the reply-to address changed in Gmail on Safari. In fact, one solution would be accessing Gmail over Safari on the iPhone (http\gmail.com I think). However, it would be much more convenient to get this from the Mail appliction on the iPhone as well. I don't have any server issues, luckily.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iFerd View Post

I suspect we are talking about the settings in the Gmail account at Google, not on the iPhone, for setting the reply-to address. You can do that in your Gmail account settings.

The suggestion sounds great, except that my ISP blocks use of its smtp server when the connection comes from off its own network. So it won't work for me. I bet many (maybe most) providers do something similar to prevent the use of their mail serves to deliver spam.

On the other hand, if the smtp server could be accessed via password, then setting the original account's smtp server as the outgoing mail server rather than the Gmail server when you configure the iPhone side could work. Wish it did for me.

Did I misunderstand?

Edit: Now that I think more about this, even this doesn't sound like it can work. The iPhone is going to have to get the ability to set the Reply-to address, which it currently lacks. There isn't any way for the Gmail account setting at Google to affect the outgoing mail from the iPhone if it is being sent through a non-Gmail smtp server.

You can get past your ISP problem by setting your out going / SMTP server to cwmx.com and you will be able to send from your iPhone from your ISP account.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

You can get past your ISP problem by setting your out going / SMTP server to cwmx.com and you will be able to send from your iPhone from your ISP account.

Hope that helps.

That does seem to help. Thanks a lot! I wish those instructions had come from AT&T when I established the account upon activating the phone.

Edit: This works very well. One thing for a future reader with this problem: It only works over EDGE. Wi-Fi must be turned off to be able to send mail, because the smtp server only works over AT&T's network.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Hi iFerd,

would you have more details on how to do this? I thought cwmx.com works for POP3 accounts only. Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    iferdiferd Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSmiley View Post

Hi iFerd,

would you have more details on how to do this? I thought cwmx.com works for POP3 accounts only. Thanks!

The account I was concerned about has only POP service.

This entry in the AT&T support pages doesn't mention that the server is for POP3 only, though. And this entry says the server can be used for POP or IMAP. Have you tired it?

Sorry not to be more help.