Hard drive failure help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Powerbook G4 12inch. My hard drive recently died. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have the hard drive installed? I ordered a new drive but I am not confident I could replace it myself. If I took it to an apple store or an authorized store, does anyone know how much they would charge for labor?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    If it's more than $50, just download a PDF that walks you through it. The same PDF that the repair guy would be reading/following. It's not rocket science. Just be careful.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple traditionally repairs machines on a flat-rate system. Any standard repairs usually run about $200 for parts (regardless of the parts used), and $100 for labor. Since you would be supplying your own parts, expect the $100 for labor at least. It's possible they will refuse to install a user-supplied hard drive, however, depending on who you talk to.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    And HDs are hella cheap these day. Get one from eshop.macsales.com and download that PDF. They probably even have tutorial videos on their site (IIRC).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

And HDs are hella cheap these day. Get one from eshop.macsales.com and download that PDF. They probably even have tutorial videos on their site (IIRC).

Thanks guys! I ordered a 80GB WD Scorpio drive and after downloading the schematics from ifixit.com, I took apart and installed the drive. The only thing is I didn't unscrew a screw from the RAM slot that attaches to the keyboard so I was bending the keyboard and almost broke it untill I figured it out. I also stripped the t6 screw at the top but my computer runs better than new now. I'm waiting to install Leopard again.

If only there was a network install option in Leopard without Leopard server