Moving Windows Partition?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a new External HDD (500GB) for Timemachine, just storing random junk, and for getting a larger windows partition. I have a couple of questions.

I have a partition with windows XP installed on my internal harddrive right now. I want to move that to a new partition on the external one. Do I have to do a complete reinstall, or can something like CCC help me copy everything over in a bootable partition? (and if so, how do I do it?)

Can XP even boot from FW800? Or would it be better/necessary to put the entire windows partition on my internal drive (120GB), and then store my mac files on the External one since it is will be easier to manage from Leopard than XP? If I take this course of action, I still have to repartition, because my lack of foresight caused me to only create a 10 GB XP partition at present, and now I find myself needing more than that.

Thanks for now, and I will ask follow up questions when I can think of more.

Edit: After consulting with a friend and doing some searching, I realize it is not possible to boot XP off an external drive (grrrrr)... but now my question is:

Can I clone my windows partition onto the External HD, then reformat the internal one to a better size, then move it back and still have it be bootable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You're asking for it...

But doesn't bootcamp allow on-the-fly repartitioning/resizing?

BACK UP.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have backed up. And I can't seem to find the resize menu. Just the options of 'delete partition' or 'go to windows installer' in the Bootcamp Assistant menu. Where would I go about finding this item?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Mac OS X doesn't have NTFS-write capability, only -read. Any backing up and transferring you do will need to be from within Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Windows doesn't support booting from external drives anyway.

There is a way to copy an entire Windows installation using the robocopy command on a Vista install disk. You could copy your windows partition to the external, remove the installation on your internal drive, repartition to make a bigger internal Windows partition, and copy the Windows installation back to the internal drive.

Here's the link for you: http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc...07/100596.aspx

Time consuming, but it's a pretty useful backup tool, and it'll allow you to resize your Windows partition.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Windows doesn't support booting from external drives anyway.

There is a way to copy an entire Windows installation using the robocopy command on a Vista install disk. You could copy your windows partition to the external, remove the installation on your internal drive, repartition to make a bigger internal Windows partition, and copy the Windows installation back to the internal drive.

Here's the link for you: http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc...07/100596.aspx

Time consuming, but it's a pretty useful backup tool, and it'll allow you to resize your Windows partition.

which would require me to have a vista disk...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

which would require me to have a vista disk...

True, but you don't need a valid Vista license. Borrow a disc from someone you know... it's not like you're going to steal their license.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

True, but you don't need a valid Vista license. Borrow a disc from someone you know... it's not like you're going to steal their license.

amazingly, I don't actually know that of any of my friends have vista... Thanks for the help though... I might just redo everything... Christmas break is coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'll have the time.