Piper ups likelihood of ultra-portable at Macworld, comments on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Riiiight. Except... isn't that what someone somewhere said about powerhouse desktop machines as compared to mainframes? Seriously, in the future power and small will be less and less mutually exclusive. As 2008 is the future, I'm not hedging my bets.

That was supposed to be a "shouldn't," sorry for the confusion.

Eventually, we'll get to a point where we'll have one main computer will a butt-load of CPU power, and carry about terminals that simply reflect what would be on the screen of the main computer. With little-to-no computing power built-in, it would just be a wifi-esque connection and a display... and support for attachable peripherals if needed.

-Clive
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Any ultraportable that Apple makes is going to begin moving away from the traditional notebook form factor. I'm thinking a tablet, personally.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Eventually, we'll get to a point where we'll have one main computer will a butt-load of CPU power, and carry about terminals that simply reflect what would be on the screen of the main computer. With little-to-no computing power built-in, it would just be a wifi-esque connection and a display... and support for attachable peripherals if needed.

-Clive

I thought it was obvious that it was a simple mistake.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    I definitely agree that this needs tol be a supplemental machine, not for all day use/time critical photoshopping if it is to succeed in tapping into an emerging sector.

Lurch is calling it a Macbook- smart money says this will have a new name, design and set of ads to cement the exposure that the iPhone has brought.

This is not the machine for someone who wants a bit of everything or wants it to be their only machine- it should and will have compromises re power/size/specs. I am still going to get my girlfriend a santa rosa MacBook next week as this coming machine will not be the one for her.

ps Thanks Eridium for the link to the G Tech site-In the market and I may have a look at how they compare to others price-wise.

pps Anyone had any thoughts regarding the fact that apart from serious graphics ability the current MacBook and MacBook Pro are virtually indistinguishable speed wise and the MB beat the Pro in some tests? Upgrades to the MBP must be coming but what are they going to be? New form factor?
  • Reply 25 of 65
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleeinstein View Post

Any ultraportable that Apple makes is going to begin moving away from the traditional notebook form factor. I'm thinking a tablet, personally.

That would be interesting.

But I'm not convinced it is what the market wants at this point. And I am even less convinced that that is what is comming next. Maybe after we get our small formfactor laptop they can try to build the niche market of the tablet...which I agree would be interesting.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    I wouldn't expect the tablet until towards the end of 2008. Maybe people will be ready for it by then.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

maybe not even iMovie (though I hear the newest iMovie is pretty light-weight).

As Bageljoey pointed out, the new iMovie takes much more processing power than the old iMovie HD, even though it has about half the capability. The change in the interface requires faster chips and more memory.

You could say it's light-weight in function, but not in processor use.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I believe it will have a pro feel to it, a business feel, more so than a Macbook.

It's going to be made out of corrugated cardboard to make it lightweight and keep it environmentally friendly and not p'off Greenpeace. Just like the recycled looking blue folders throughout Leopard.

And no plastic - only glossy glass.\
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

As Bageljoey pointed out, the new iMovie takes much more processing power than the old iMovie HD, even though it has about half the capability. The change in the interface requires faster chips and more memory.

You could say it's light-weight in function, but not in processor use.

Hmm... well it wouldn't make much sense to bundle software that requires better specs than the unit, so either a MBM would be able to run iMovie, or it shouldn't come with iLife... neither option is without its disadvantages...

-Clive
  • Reply 30 of 65
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

-Clive

What a nutso idea.

Oh wait, that's what I do. Get yourself a few $200 laptops, a gotomypc account and you're all set.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    1. Remember that speeds of processors double every 18 months (Moore's law still works, even today). So the "slower" ultraportable is usually as fast as a slightly older desktop. It's not a big penalty.

2. Memory matters and as long as you get the ultraportable with 2g of Ram or more, most programs will be pretty fast. I still work on an old G4 PB 12incher and it is fast for most jobs. Dunno how processor intensive iMovie is however...

3. Flash based storage has much faster theoretical access times than a conventional HDD and this can conceivably help, including super fast start-up times. Unfortunately, tests to date of these things have not shown a big performance bump for computers.

I suspect firms like Apple, Sony and Toshiba will be thinking creatively about making use of the potential access times for this kind of memory. Probably too late to be of benefit for any January release product (one reason I hate Dell and Compaq is they buy better processors and stuff off the shelf, but they make zero effort to come up with creative platforms to make the best use of them, as you can see they don't even put money into coming up with better plugs and adapters).

4. I really do not care about processor speeds. I'm not doing graphic design or CGI and so anything I do on a new computer is twice as fast or more as my old computer. So I don't mind.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    The notion of an Aluminum enclosure sounds cool as well.

I had a scary dream that the Kindle would inspire other firms to pursue the retro 70s Battlestar Galactica look...

(too bad as I love the Kindle as a concept too....)
  • Reply 33 of 65
    I hope we see an ultra portable - but this report is just circular.

ie: We've already read the rumors for the ultra portable.

Now Gene Munster is repeating that they believe the rumours are true, because when there was this degree of talk in the past on similar rumored products, they turned out to be true.

And his comments then boost our rumor's credibility....

Round and round it goes
  • Reply 34 of 65
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Forget 13", 11" is where it's at.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Forget 13", 11" is where it's at.

but I want 13"

Let 10-11" be for the tablet.

Cheers
  • Reply 36 of 65
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    And to think, this won't even be the BIG news at MacExpo

Skip
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Ok Skip, what will the "big" news be? iPhone version 2? Apple TV upgrade and iTunes movie rentals? iPhone nano (or whatever the model without internet will be called?
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Jobs lacks the vision!
  • Reply 39 of 65
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

but I want 13"

Let 10-11" be for the tablet.

Cheers

I doubt there are two, and I imagine if there is anything to this rumor they are both the same product in one convertible tablet. 13" seems small to be a professionals tablet. Maybe it's a MacBook replacement.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

That would be interesting.

But I'm not convinced it is what the market wants at this point. And I am even less convinced that that is what is comming next. Maybe after we get our small formfactor laptop they can try to build the niche market of the tablet...which I agree would be interesting.

I'm not convinced of that either. Tablets have, so far, proven to have remarkably little interest to the computing public. The category has about 0.5% of computer sales.