New MacBooks offer marginal speed improvements (benchmarks)

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikir View Post

Yes we need 3D benchs too. MacBook are fine, i'm interested in GMAx3100!

Yes, please someone provide some benchies! I'd specifically like to know if and how well it runs Second Life at native or 800x600 resolution.

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 42 of 45
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikir View Post

Yes we need 3D benchs too. MacBook are fine, i'm interested in GMAx3100!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

Yes, please someone provide some benchies! I'd specifically like to know if and how well it runs Second Life at native or 800x600 resolution.

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher

What they said. Instead of transforming this thread into a gladiator field, please anyone post precise tests of the new graphics. This is the most substantial part of the update.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

What they said. Instead of transforming this thread into a gladiator field, please anyone post precise tests of the new graphics. This is the most substantial part of the update.

Below is a chart comparing previous and current graphics cards in MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Data was taken from www.notebookcheck.net.

I'm not too hopeful about the x3100. My guess is that Intel doesn't have enough experience to write graphics drivers that will even take advantage of what the hardware does have to offer.

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 44 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

I'm not too hopeful about the x3100. My guess is that Intel doesn't have enough experience to write graphics drivers that will even take advantage of what the hardware does have to offer.

-Switchy McSwitcher

The 3DMark 05 and 06 are the most relevant benchmarks. You see substantial improvement there. 05/06 tests the areas where the X3100 differs (besides just clock cycles) from the 950...like shaders.

The score is still pretty sad but a 3 fold increase means somewhat more accurate rendering (assuming the drivers are good) and well double the unusable frame rates.

Presumably the scores are taken with the crappy Intel drivers. When and if they become less crappy they should...well, not change a whole lot really.

But the real objective is that games like WoW go from marginal to somewhat less marginal on the MB. If that happens its a big win.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Yes, I'm grave-digging by reviving this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if any work is being done to update the x3100 drivers in an attempt to allow the Macbook to run Second Life. Word on the street is that it currently crashes after less than a minute of use.

See http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5965320

Thanks,

Switchy McSwitcher