Mixing Ram (Brands)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yeah there's probably a thread on this somewhere but whatever.

I have an 8-core Mac Pro with 4GB of ram and I'd like to bump it up to 6GB. I bought it with all Apple ram (yeah, yeah, yeah it's expensive I know) and I was wondering if there is any danger whatsoever adding some different kind of ram to it. I want a 2GB stick. If there isn't a problem with it can someone give me some links or names to check out (newegg.com would be fine) for 2GB sticks. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Check out these.

They even have a set of two 2Gb sticks.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Yeah there's probably a thread on this somewhere but whatever.

I have an 8-core Mac Pro with 4GB of ram and I'd like to bump it up to 6GB. I bought it with all Apple ram (yeah, yeah, yeah it's expensive I know) and I was wondering if there is any danger whatsoever adding some different kind of ram to it. I want a 2GB stick. If there isn't a problem with it can someone give me some links or names to check out (newegg.com would be fine) for 2GB sticks. Thanks.

The Mac Pro will not accept standalone modules, you MUST buy them in pairs. Therefore, you need to buy either 4x 512MB or 2x 1GB modules. If you want to go all the way to 8GB of RAM, 2x 2GB is a good way to go.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Thanks to both of you, I think I'm going to go for the 8GB.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Sure thing.

Have fun!

(8 gigs of memory, wow )

Thats just insane...