A new mac pro in 2008?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My hometown got it's own Apple Store last week. After using a PC for near 20 years I am really keen to buy a Mac Pro for video and photo work. However, as the current mac pro was released in April this year, is it likely a new model / new intel chips will be released in 2008?

Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The thread "Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros" will tell you more than you ever want to now about what macnerds thinks.

The short of it is that the macpro is long over due to be updated so play the waiting game and get the next generation.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I've been saying to this forum for 5 months, or longer, that the next (all new) Mac Pro will be released at MWSF in January. Almost everybody else seemed to think it would be released in November, but that date has come and gone, and I think we are now almost all in agreement that is is going to be at MacWorld in January. I really don't think Apple will wait any longer. If they didn't release it January it would surely be by March, because I just can not see them holding out until WWDC in August, or whenever it is next year. But I am sticking with my original statement, and assumption that it will be at MacWorld in January.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Actually, the current Mac Pro was released in August 2006.

Amazon seems to be out of stock on both models--with a 3-5 week wait. If that means new MacPros, then they are just around the corner...December? January?

Worth the wait.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I've been saying to this forum for 5 months, or longer, that the next (all new) Mac Pro will be released at MWSF in January. Almost everybody else seemed to think it would be released in November, but that date has come and gone, and I think we are now almost all in agreement that is is going to be at MacWorld in January. I really don't think Apple will wait any longer. If they didn't release it January it would surely be by March, because I just can not see them holding out until WWDC in August, or whenever it is next year. But I am sticking with my original statement, and assumption that it will be at MacWorld in January.

I've thought the same thing for a while and I still agree. We should see it in January.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Just like these things have been for (most) years.

MacExpo usually has something cool, special, or wanted (not needed ) each year ? hell, that's why they have the show isn't it.

So, yes, something cool, wanted, special WILL be announced at MWSF (just after tax season ) - so wait if you want the newest - of what ever get's announced, or buy now and get some use out of it.

Me, I get caugth in the "Buy for taxes reason" each year, and then when and if they come out with something new, cool, special I can't live without, I buy again

Skip

PS This years it's looking like a new MBP 15" - 17" ? just not sure which one yet.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    stupid question, I know... but when does exactly MWSF start?
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Jan. 14-18.

All the new products will be announced on the first day.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Jan. 14-18.

All the new products will be announced on the first day.

Actually, they will probably be announced on Jan 15 because almost all Apple announcements are on a Tuesday.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capitanbuzo View Post

Actually, they will probably be announced on Jan 15 because almost all Apple announcements are on a Tuesday.

Keynote

January 15, 2008

9:00am- 10:30am

Session Description:

Come join us for the Macworld Conference & Expo Keynote, which has a long-standing tradition of delivering a high-powered message that sets the pace for the future of the Mac OS platform.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capitanbuzo View Post

When ever the keynote is scheduled for is when they will be announced. It doesn't matter what day it is anymore.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

Because Mac Video Cards are HORRIBLE...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple's video card choices suck, plain and simple. Not only are the video cards in the iMacs underpowered, they have been isolated as the main reason for the freezing issue. I think the MBP got a decent break with the 8600gt, but it is by no means a screamer. The mini has older-than-dirt integrated GMA950, and the Mac Pro's video cards are almost three years old in some cases.

The base video card in the Mac Pro (nVidia 7300GT) is 17 months old and pathetically underpowered. It's like putting a 2-cylinder engine in a Mustang.

The x1900xt in the Mac Pro will be three years old this coming January. Some people had to have their cards replaced due to artifacting. Apple had Foxconn produce a revision 2 of the card that supposedly cut down on the artifacting.

The Quadro FX 4500 is about two and a half years old (July 05) and has been superseded by several generations of professional-level graphics.

Apple prefers cards that are quiet, and in doing so have and will regularly de-tune the cards to lower clock speeds so that fan speed can be kept to a minimum. Apple never takes into account graphics performance, or anything related to gaming, because quite frankly, His Steveness doesn't want you playing games on your Mac. He wants you to make edible garbage with iMovie 08 and post it to YouTube.

Pouring salt in the wound, Apple charges outrageous prices for these video cards, when you build-to-order. Want to add a second 7300GT to your Mac Pro?? It will cost you $150.00, when it can be purchased RETAIL for $50.00 or less. How about the x1900xt?? $400.00 for that card, where (if you can even find it anymore) it costs $150 or less. Consider this: an nVidia 8800GTS that would literally spank the x1800xt costs about $250.00. So for an extra $150.00 you can have a three year old card.

They could have done so much better on the video card options in the iMac, but they wanted high margins and low noise. And they could have at least updated the Mac Pro's at least ONCE since its inception a year and three months ago. The Mac Pro has been virtually untouched since its inception.

Apple has no grasp of video card technology, given their long history of poorly-performing and absurdly expensive graphics card choices.

BANG!

Take that in the eye. Never heard it better put. Hopefully a nice redesign to go with teh new Mac Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

BANG!

Take that in the eye. Never heard it better put. Hopefully a nice redesign to go with teh new Mac Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.

ATI and NVIDIA made cards for the power mac g4 and power mac g5 that you could buy as a upgrade why not for the Mac Pro?

Are the EFI roms alot harder to make then the PPC ones?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    What? Apple offer you a choice of GPUs? Offer the LATEST gpus? er...I dunno...that sounds kinda radical, dude.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    ..and upgrade your machine? That will cost Apple a sale...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    i really hope that apple offers some better graphics card, dont you think that they will
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

i really hope that apple offers some better graphics card, dont you think that they will

Obviously they will - I am 100% sure they will throw in better cards. Maybe 8800s and 5600s?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    i mean they dam dam dam well better i would love to buy a mac pro to go against all my friends ocd pc's i would love to laugh in there pc faces
  • Reply 18 of 42
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    MacPro and ACDs at MWSF for sure.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Mac Pro Graphics card BTO offerings.

• NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 Ultra.

• NVIDIA GeForce® 8600 GTS.

•*NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600.

Or - I think this lineup would be more impressive.

• NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GTSX2. (This is one card 2 GPU's FYI / SLI on one card)

• NVIDIA GeForce® 8600 GTS.

• NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

Mac Pro Graphics card BTO offerings.

? NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 Ultra.

? NVIDIA GeForce® 8600 GTS.

?*NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600.

Or - I think this lineup would be more impressive.

? NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GTSX2. (This is one card 2 GPU's FYI / SLI on one card)

? NVIDIA GeForce® 8600 GTS.

? NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600.

Both those lineups would be awesome. Would all of those cards work in the current Mac Pro architecture?