Mouse and Applescript

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I would like to use the right mouse button (the right side of the top of the mouse) as a back button when browsing. I don't want to use a control click and then chose back, I just want to click it once. I find many apple scripts that can be assigned to the button, but not a "back". Do I have to write my own applescript? Does someone have a script for this? Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Get USB Overdrive. It will let you assign the key combination command-left bracket to the right mouse button, which is what you want.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Get USB Overdrive. It will let you assign the key combination command-left bracket to the right mouse button, which is what you want.

Thanks - That's exactly what I was looking foe
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

Thanks - That's exactly what I was looking foe

I assign that in Safari and other browsers, in Apple Help, and in iTunes.

Then you also set the middle (scroll) button to "right click" so you still have the contextual menus. Set USB Overdrive's "Wheel" setting to "no button" (sounds confusing, but that is the correct setting).

Set the mouse speeds you want under Global Settings.

The only downside of this is that it will confuse others if they use your account, so make another account or use the Guest account for others.

Also, trying to right-click on the Dock when Safari is in front will do a Back - so use the control-click on the Dock.

The reason to use command-left bracket instead of the Delete key is that if you are in a text entry box, Delete does a Delete.