Steve Jobs to headline Macworld San Francisco 2008

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
IDG World Expo officially announced Monday that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs will deliver the opening keynote address for next year's Macworld Conference & Expo.

Macworld will be held at San Francisco's Moscone Convention Center January 14-18, 2008, and the keynote address will be held on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. at Moscone West.

Among the product introductions expected at the conference is an ultra-thin and lightweight sub-notebook from Apple, which AppleInsider has detailed on several occasions (1, 2, 3).

"This is one of the biggest Mac community gatherings of the year and Steve?s keynote is always the most anticipated event of the week," said Mary Dolaher, CEO of IDG World Expo. "We're looking forward to a great show and are thrilled that Steve will once again be kicking it off."

Macworld Conference and Expo 2008 will host creative professionals from a cross-section of industries including design, print, online, photography, broadcast, videography and music.

In addition to an exhibit floor featuring over 350 companies, the event will offer a conference with over 120 educational sessions, and a set of exhibit floor attractions including a free training series, an interactive Digital Photography area and live Music and Sound product demonstrations.

Event highlights, conference agenda and registration information are available on the Macworld Conference & Expo Web site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I am hoping for the most impressive keynote ever. But then reality set in.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I am hoping for the most impressive keynote ever. But then reality set in.

Haha Amen to that.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Let's hope it is the "most anticipated event of the week" this year.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    The iPhone and iPod Touch are now here, which means that it should be a lot more Mac-specific than last year. I was a bit disappointed that last year's keynote was solely about the iPhone and nothing else.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Just give me MacPro. I am tired of waiting!

But I think AppleTV 2.0, same iPhone with new apps and 16gig version and finally the ultra-portable. That's all.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    As a Mac user and long-time poster to sites like this, I must reveal my credentials to one and all . . . and avow my disappointment with everything Apple has ever done. Ever. Truly. The hardware products aren't good enough or cheap enough. The software products aren't comprehensive enough or updated fast enough. Steve's keynote addresses aren't focused enough or broad enough. The stock price is not high enough or low enough.

There. Am I one of the great unwashed Mac Masses now? Gawd, but I hope so, 'cause every time I have a positive thought about AAPL or the company's future, I feel SO VERY DIRTY. Mea culpa. Mea culpa.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Breaking news! Steve Jobs at MacWorld.

Slow news day?
  • Reply 8 of 74
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Surely Steve will demo some apps for the iPhone built with the yet-to-be SDK.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    I wonder what he will wear???????????
  • Reply 10 of 74
    There's really nothing I'm looking forward to at this year's MWSF - I'm sad to say.

iPhone - Steve'll probably talk about the SDK and show off some apps. *shrug* While good for "the industry", it's just not a product niche I care about. Is it time for a new product iteration?

Macs - Faster Intel chips. Yay. Yawn. It's nice if you need a new machine, but it's just the steady march of CPU speed. I don't know of any "breakthrough" things on the CPU side. New Mac mini?

Portables - the ultra-portable may be cool for some. I just bought a MacBook and got a MacBook Pro from work. I'm out of that market for a few years.

Keeping in mind that MWSF tends to be very "consumer" oriented, I doubt we'll hear much about Apple's pro level apps.

OS - I'm sure Steve will crow about Leopard, how well it's selling, and all the new features. I'm hoping he shows off a few more "deeper" features - like Core Animation. Something along the lines of "Leopard has this great technology under the hood and is letting developers write amazing software like this..."

But there's just nothing I know of now that I'm eagerly anticipating.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

The iPhone and iPod Touch are now here, which means that it should be a lot more Mac-specific than last year. I was a bit disappointed that last year's keynote was solely about the iPhone and nothing else.

You're right, the AppleTV wasn't mentioned in the '07 keynote. Though it was very iPhone-heavy.

I think people expect too much from the keynotes. There's always something good, but the hype level is so high that it's not funny, which usually leads to a let-down for those that are expecting things that don't happen.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lonon View Post

Breaking news! Steve Jobs at MacWorld.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by artiss View Post

WAIT, WAIT!!! The spirits are talking to me...telling me...telling me...yes, YES!

There will be Apple products at MacWorld!

Oh my god, stop the presses!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Just give me MacPro. I am tired of waiting!

Ditto.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

Well, because of that 'disappointing' time Steve spent on the iPhone last year, AAPL jumped 20 points while he was speaking, and in the next 8 months doubled in value, along with a corresponding in market share.

Keep in mind that even the most 'pro' level Mac user benefits by Apple increasing mind/market share. Cross marketing in consumer electronics is largely responsible for that.

In short, no Apple, no improvement in 'pro' line. PC-only companies are going the way of buggy-whips.

Speaking as both a long-time Mac user and AAPL shareholder, he can announce an iVibrator as far as I'm concerned, as long as it makes Apple grow market share overall.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    xmac xmac xmac
  • Reply 16 of 74
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:

this is a good one
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Let the completely unrealistic predictions begin! \

And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So here are mine:

Mac Pro 90% certain.

13" slightly-more-portable MBP. NOT an ultra-portable.

And as always, no tablet, and no xMac.

Prove me wrong, Apple; prove me wrong.

-Clive
  • Reply 18 of 74
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    If I was there for the keynote, I'd throw a minitower case up on stage, and yell, "FILL IT, Steve!!!".

Yeah, I know, I know... security would toss me. Still would be so worth it.

• Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:

He'll wear a tasteful wreath composed of garlic cloves to keep the vampires away.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    I expect XServe RAID all SATA.