New Kismac (Works passive with Leopard)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone have any info on if a new Kismac is being released that is 100% compatible with Leopard? Just active mode just isn't cutting it

Thanks guys,

Alex

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm sure it is in the works, but I checked out the latest svn version, and no luck there.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    What about iStumbler?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    What about it? It doesn't really compare to Kismac.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    What does Kismac do more/better than iStumbler? I just use it every now and then, not really a power user...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

What does Kismac do more/better than iStumbler? I just use it every now and then, not really a power user...

My understanding is that Kismac/passive mode/injection does not work with Airport Extreme cards.

Is this not the case? I have never been able to get Kismac to work on my C2D MBP.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ZO: Kismac is more for, um, cracking wireless networks, which is handy if you've, er, forgotten your WEP/WPA key for your home network and, uh, need to reclaim it. It supports a variety of methods for cracking passwords. Go on Youtube and type in Kismac.

Neruda: You are correct. However, a) you don't necessarily need to inject packets to crack a network (although it is much easier and faster with injection!) and b) Kismac works with a variety of cheap USB and PCMCIA cards, as well as Airport on older macs.

Kismac development has really stagnated in the last 6 months, which is a real shame. It is far from perfect, and as Neruda mentioned, Atheros support is passive only (no injection) even though there are wireless drivers for eg: Linux which do support injection.

It's a real pisser.

Also, the app is both fugly, and not exactly intuitive to use.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well does anyone know of any good software to retrieve a wep key from "your" wifi network that isnt kismac?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weinsta View Post

Well does anyone know of any good software to retrieve a wep key from "your" wifi network that isnt kismac?

You can just reset "your" modem/router to factory settings or pay your neighbour a fraction of their broadband bill and ask them to give you access.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    i was meaning more software based methods like kismac but works with leopard