GIMP and Leopard

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is it compatible yet? i've heard horror stories about how the two didn't work together and bad things happened...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonsai1214 View Post

is it compatible yet? i've heard horror stories about how the two didn't work together and bad things happened...

i just downloaded the latest version and it seems to work fine. i haven't done much with it yet though
  • Reply 2 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Try the Mator
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Gimp kinda works, I have not been able to get full functionality though. Whenever i try and color things in, with the pen it crashes. It's a problem with x11 compatability. There are some fixes somewhere, which I cant be bothered to dig out at the mo, but will try to if you need it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ireland, i'm looking for something i don't have to pay for.. or doesn't give me a huge water mark across my image

to run it in x11, don't you just have to open x11 and it should work? thats what i'm getting from the gimp website
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmm.. nevermind.. found an "alternate" method of acquiring pixelmator..
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Apple moved X11 from XFree86 to X.org codebase with Leopard. This is a big change and a lot of things are broken. There is an active discussion topic about it on the Apple boards and fixes and work arounds are posted there.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

hmm.. nevermind.. found an "alternate" method of acquiring pixelmator..

...and your "method" is...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Gimp seems to be sorted as of Dec 4th, as CNUco2007 said in his original post. If you go here you can download and get information about all you need including the updated (but unofficial) x11 package. It's not crashing like it used to.

However, I have been using seashore instead, which has the advantage of being mac native (no need for x11) and works absolutely great. It is not as powerful as Gimp though, but has everything the average Joe would need in a graphics package. Oh, and it's free too.