Windows partition issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

A newbie to the forum here, so don't beat me up too much

Just got a new iMac 2.4 20" and installed XP via bootcamp. After the installation I have several issues. First of all, in the computer properties it shows RAM = 0.98GB, instead of 1GB. It appears that it's allocating RAM to a video, which it shouldn't. 2nd problem is that for some reason during bootcamp driver installation ATI Catalist drivers didn't get installed either. Only video device drivers got installed. I tried reinstalling video drivers, but same thing. Leopard DVD only installs video device drivers. So, I'm perplexed a bit. Haven't had a chance to play a whole lot with the new machine, but so far not bad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Bump...

Anybody???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by master_yoda13 View Post

Hello all,

A newbie to the forum here, so don't beat me up too much

Just got a new iMac 2.4 20" and installed XP via bootcamp. After the installation I have several issues. First of all, in the computer properties it shows RAM = 0.98GB, instead of 1GB. It appears that it's allocating RAM to a video, which it shouldn't. 2nd problem is that for some reason during bootcamp driver installation ATI Catalist drivers didn't get installed either. Only video device drivers got installed. I tried reinstalling video drivers, but same thing. Leopard DVD only installs video device drivers. So, I'm perplexed a bit. Haven't had a chance to play a whole lot with the new machine, but so far not bad.

• Reply 2 of 4
    I have... no idea what's going on. Hella weird. Does running the bootcamp updater for Windows do anything? I think it is in Control Panels.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    As for the memory issue... that is normal. Almost EVERY recent video card, including the Radeon HD 2600 Pro, has integrated video memory in addition to the advertised dedicated memory. I happen to have a 2600 Pro (512 MB) in my Dell, and it shows up as 1700 MB of video RAM. Since I have 3 GB of main RAM, it assigns a generous amount to my video card until it is needed elsewhere.

As for the Windows drivers, are you getting full resolution support from those drivers? Because usually, the Catalyst drivers are not necessary, they never were on our floor-model demo iMacs at work.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

As for the memory issue... that is normal. Almost EVERY recent video card, including the Radeon HD 2600 Pro, has integrated video memory in addition to the advertised dedicated memory. I happen to have a 2600 Pro (512 MB) in my Dell, and it shows up as 1700 MB of video RAM. Since I have 3 GB of main RAM, it assigns a generous amount to my video card until it is needed elsewhere.

As for the Windows drivers, are you getting full resolution support from those drivers? Because usually, the Catalyst drivers are not necessary, they never were on our floor-model demo iMacs at work.

Hi Karelia,

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I've heard that iMac's video card is a hyper-memory card. I do get full resolution, however, I remember setting up XP using bootcamp on Tiger, and ATI catalist was installed. Maybe Apple changed something in Leopard. Did anybody else on the board setup XP using bootcamp on their iMacs? I'd be interested if they have the same type of deal.