iTunes and multiple users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How do you set iTunes (OSX.2) up to use the same library for multiple users?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>How do you set iTunes (OSX.2) up to use the same library for multiple users?</strong><hr></blockquote>

one way would be to keep your MP3s in a folder outside your user space. for example: i have all of mine in a folder that hangs out on the root of my hard drive. this way every user has access to the folder. then it's just a matter of dragging the folder into itunes.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Move your /Mac HD/&lt;username&gt;/Music/iTunes folder (and any accompanying iTune's related files) into the Shared folder (the one under /Mac HD/Shared)...then create aliases for the iTune's Folder and related files...and put them back in the original /Mac HD/&lt;username&gt;/Music/iTunes folder. Repeat this last step (creating aliases) for each of the machine users.

Essentially, trick iTunes into thinking it is looking at its iTunes Library when actually it is looking at the aliases.

Make sure to change permission (via command-i) of the iTune's Folder (the one sitting in the Shared directory) so that all users can add/change or update the iTunes Library.

I hope this helps...

-David
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I did this by having a second partition for my documents/downloads that I wanted to be shared and set all User preferences (in iTunes) to look there for them. The only thing is that sometimes you might have to have a user update their Library when you add new songs with a different user.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I will try that.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't make it easier.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I will try that.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't make it easier.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But you could act illegally! The people you share your songs with may not own the CDs!

I guess if Apple chooses not to have any moral objections to this type of sharing, the feature will be implemented in iTunes along with Rendezvous.