Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4461 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

And the majority of them on this thread, right?

True, true. I'll have to work on that for you guys.
  • Reply 4462 of 4650
    Future Hardware for the win!
  • Reply 4463 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Haha... I guess there is not a clear difference between being a fan vs. being a fanboy based on your definition. But you may call yourself whatever you wish.

Don't worry though, you're only a borderline fanboy in my book.

So, Still no attempt at reasoned argument from you, looks like you have become not only a parody of yourself, but also the thing you seek to deride.

Well done.
  • Reply 4464 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Slocombe - thanks for this great post. I am happy to see that someone has rationalized the purchase of a PS3 the same way as I have.

I don't hate HD-DVD or anything. I just wish it would go away just for the simple fact that blu-ray is a better product and we need to have a single format so we can all end this silly stuff and enjoy HD optical discs at decent hardware / media prices.

HD-DVD can surely deliver great sound and picture, but how can you possibly argue with sheer storage space?

Cheers, there was more, but I felt the post was already long enough

BEFORE I bought into BD with the PS3 I just wanted one format, I really didn't care which one, but BD has more Studios, more players, more actual manufacturers making machines, REAL burners in existence, with REAL blank media you can buy and, of course more disc sales in every country and world wide.
  • Reply 4465 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

So, Still no attempt at reasoned argument from you, looks like you have become not only a parody of yourself, but also the thing you seek to deride.

Well done.

I apologize. I honestly did not know I was supposed to provide a reasoned argument with your testimonies to; why you bought a game console and why you may call yourself a Blu-Ray fanboy.

I would be more than happy to engage in a discussion/s on topic based on the facts or news. I don’t like engaging in a discussion based on personal speculations or biased opinions, unless it’s worth a debate.

For furture references, if you would like for me to answer to your particular post and your particular point of an argument, please leave me a PM. It's hard to do this from work without getting distracted too much.
  • Reply 4466 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Cheers, there was more, but I felt the post was already long enough

BEFORE I bought into BD with the PS3 I just wanted one format, I really didn't care which one, but BD has more Studios, more players, more actual manufacturers making machines, REAL burners in existence, with REAL blank media you can buy and, of course more disc sales in every country and world wide.

Don't forget more disk space. DId you know that Midway is going to have to scale down their version of Unreal Tournament 3 for Xbox 360 because they just don't have enough disk space for the textures, and everything else? THey are not going to have some maps at all. They may not even release it for 360 if they think it will degrade their reputation. Although they have not even started the 360 version yet, but they do know it has limited potential.
  • Reply 4467 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I apologize. I honestly did not know I was supposed to provide a reasoned argument with your testimonies to; why you bought a game console and why you may call yourself a Blu-Ray fanboy.

I'm sorry, anything that is a reasonable argument clearly is off-topic and doesn't belong in this thread.

bite, are you going to double-dip on the Harry Potter films?
  • Reply 4468 of 4650
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/06/t...l-mart-secret/

HDDVD player for $300 plus 12 free movies at walmart secret sale.

Oh snap.
  • Reply 4469 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Oh snap.

Why are you posting wasted investments? HD-DVD isn't just behind, it's lost a cause so don't screw people over in here. Your like a spammer with that post.
  • Reply 4470 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

bite, are you going to double-dip on the Harry Potter films?

I'm still contemplating whether I should. I had imported HPGOF last year from Amazon.UK and that leaves me with 1st three double dips and the HPOOP on my wish list.

I currently have just HPOOP on pre-order from amazon, but I may change my mind. The only issue with getting the box set now is that there will be two additional series coming out and I'm sure there will be a final box set with the 7th series. I think the current HP box set packaging looks pretty need, though.
  • Reply 4471 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Oh snap.

I've seen a lot better deals. I think amazon currently has HD-A3 with 10 free movies for $199, but their pricing does change every day, sometimes few times a day.

As I've posted before. I've seen exact same deal going as low as $157 from amazon and may go even lower right around x-mass.
  • Reply 4472 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Why are you posting wasted investments? HD-DVD isn't just behind, it's lost a cause so don't screw people over in here. Your like a spammer with that post.

Blu-Ray must indeed be doing well overseas, since it's advocates clearly don't speak English well.
  • Reply 4473 of 4650
    Blu-Ray outsells HD-DVD globally by about 3 to 1 and rising. There's really no sign that HD-DVD will ever alter the momentum and as Bay said it's now just being used as a spoiler tactic. They've tried selling the players at Wal-mart for $100, giving away the movies, and since they did all that Blu-Ray has actually increased its market share.

I'm disappointed that Apple haven't stuck Blu-Ray burners in their high end machines by now. How on earth are we meant to burn the high definition movies they are are so keen for us to make?

I have a Sony HD Camcorder and Apple HD editing software and yet I must down-convert to standard definition if anyone wants to watch this stuff.

Ridiculous.
  • Reply 4474 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

Blu-Ray outsells HD-DVD globally by about 3 to 1 and rising. There's really no sign that HD-DVD will ever alter the momentum and as Bay said it's now just being used as a spoiler tactic. They've tried selling the players at Wal-mart for $100, giving away the movies, and since they did all that Blu-Ray has actually increased its market share.

I'm disappointed that Apple haven't stuck Blu-Ray burners in their high end machines by now. How on earth are we meant to burn the high definition movies they are are so keen for us to make?

I have a Sony HD Camcorder and Apple HD editing software and yet I must down-convert to standard definition if anyone wants to watch this stuff.

Ridiculous.

B.Y.O.B.R.B.

BTW, you can author HiDef material on a SD-DVD writable media as well, all 8.5GB worth.
  • Reply 4475 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Um...they sold HD DVD players for only ONE WEEKEND at a $99 price, and sold more that weekend than the entire previous year combined. Logic would dictate that once the sub-$99 price becomes the norm instead of a 48-hour sale, they could move as many standalone players a week as Sony does PS3s. At those kinds of prices, a person looking for a replacement DVD player for his/her recently-busted one may as well pick up one that not only upconverts his/her standard-definition DVDs, but plays HD DVDs as well.

Quote:

Ridiculous.

I agree. We should have had high-definition discs years ago.
  • Reply 4476 of 4650
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

According to this AppleInsider article (care of MacBidouille), at MacWorld, a Blu-ray drive will be an option in the refreshed Mac Pro machines and DVD Studio Pro will be able to manage and author Blu-ray discs.
  • Reply 4477 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

... DVD Studio Pro will be able to manage and author Blu-ray discs.

Good God I hope so. It's about GD time!
  • Reply 4478 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

According to this AppleInsider article (care of MacBidouille), at MacWorld, a Blu-ray drive will be an option in the refreshed Mac Pro machines and DVD Studio Pro will be able to manage and author Blu-ray discs.

Unfortunately, Macbidouille just updated the news about the possibility of Blue-Ray drive option. According to their sources, the problem would be a conflict between Apple and AACS LA, which is trying to impose a very strict protection scheme at the OS X kernel level. According to the Macbidouille sources, Apple refuses to do so for some reason.

I have no idea if all this makes sense or not.
  • Reply 4479 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    AACS is part of both standards right? That means no HD-DVD either.

I don't understand this news though. Blu-Ray drives exist on the PC, and Toshiba's shipping HD-DVD drives with their laptops. Does anyone know if Redmond hard-coded the protection scheme in the Windows kernel?

It seems weird that Apple would put all that work into ensuring Leopard could read and write both sets of discs, knowing that they wouldn't be shipping them even by the time MWSF rolled around.
  • Reply 4480 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

AACS is part of both standards right? That means no HD-DVD either.

I don't understand this news though. Blu-Ray drives exist on the PC, and Toshiba's shipping HD-DVD drives with their laptops. Does anyone know if Redmond hard-coded the protection scheme in the Windows kernel?

I don't know. Macbidouille says that the PC experience (in which case the protection has already been breached) made them to harden their position and approach as far as content locking is concerned. I have no idea what is the situation in the Windows side.