Dumb Question from a Mac Newcomer

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Recently bought a new Ipod, which required me to upgrade from OS X to Leopard. I assumed installing Leopard would be simple but I couldn't get past the first step. Stuck in the disc, message popped up on the screen telling me I have to restart the Mac so that it could load. I did that and then the disc drive just ran on and on without anything ever happening. The drive must be fine since it worked in getting me to the first step but for some reason nothing was loading. Could it be a lack of memory? Am I doing something wrong. I admit that I am a long-time PC user who has never really gotten the hang of the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, you don't need Leopard to use any iPod, so there's your first problem.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Msteinmr View Post

Recently bought a new Ipod, which required me to upgrade from OS X to Leopard...

How do you figure???
  • Reply 3 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Leopard "is" OS X. So is "Tiger"
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    What version of OX are you currently running?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I was running 10.3 something. The new Nano requires something newer. Would have been fine with Tiger I guess but I figured if I was going to upgrade, I might as well go all the way and get Leopard. My guess is I have to add memory. But I'd like to know for sure before I embark on that process.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

My guess is I have to add memory. But I'd like to know for sure before I embark on that process.

Which Mac do you have? Does its processor fulfils the Leopard system requirements?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

I was running 10.3 something. The new Nano requires something newer. Would have been fine with Tiger I guess but I figured if I was going to upgrade, I might as well go all the way and get Leopard. My guess is I have to add memory. But I'd like to know for sure before I embark on that process.

You only need to run the latest version of iTunes, which means all you need is 10.3.9, which, as a user of 10.3, is simply a click of software update away.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You only need to run the latest version of iTunes, which means all you need is 10.3.9, which, as a user of 10.3, is simply a click of software update away.

Thanks man. But whenever I try to hook up the nano, it tells me I need OS X 10.4.8. To top it off, I can't seem to download 10.4.8.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Thanks man. But whenever I try to hook up the nano, it tells me I need OS X 10.4.8. To top it off, I can't seem to download 10.4.8.

You are right about needing at least 10.4.8 for your iPod. iPod touch even requires at least 10.4.10.

You have 10.3 on your computer, so Apple will not let you download anything in the 10.4 range without buying 10.4 Tiger. I see now why you bought Leopard 10.5.

I don't know the fix for your problem with 10.5 since my G4 466 doesn't meet the requirements for Leopard and my next system upgrade will have to come with a new computer.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

You are right about needing at least 10.4.8 for your iPod. iPod touch even requires at least 10.4.10.

You have 10.3 on your computer, so Apple will not let you download anything in the 10.4 range without buying 10.4 Tiger. I see now why you bought Leopard 10.5.

I don't know the fix for your problem with 10.5 since my G4 466 doesn't meet the requirements for Leopard and my next system upgrade will have to come with a new computer.

Man. I totally feel for you. But you still haven't told us what mac you have. (or did i miss something)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjei7 View Post

Man. I totally feel for you. But you still haven't told us what mac you have. (or did i miss something)

G4 466 Digital Audio. I'm waiting to see what Apple does with the Mac Pro and also on new Apple Cinema Displays. I don't "need" a new computer and etc., but this is the longest I've ever gone, by several years, without buying a new Mac. My G4 has been an exceptional machine and still looks brand new. 10.4.11 Tiger is also rock solid. Within another few months I feel Apple will work out most of the kinks in 10.5.

If you can't get your 10.5 installed, I would see about calling Apple support, especially since it is new Apple software and I feel sure you must have at least 90 days to get help with the installation.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

G4 466 Digital Audio. I'm waiting to see what Apple does with the Mac Pro and also on new Apple Cinema Displays. I don't "need" a new computer and etc., but this is the longest I've ever gone, by several years, without buying a new Mac. My G4 has been an exceptional machine and still looks brand new. 10.4.11 Tiger is also rock solid. Within another few months I feel Apple will work out most of the kinks in 10.5.

If you can't get your 10.5 installed, I would see about calling Apple support, especially since it is new Apple software and I feel sure you must have at least 90 days to get help with the installation.

I actually meant to ask Msteinmr, but for some stupid reason I decided to quote your message. Sorry.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Let's try a third time.

Which Mac do you have?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Did you hold down the [C] key when booting to make sure it booted from the CD? Just want to make sure you told it to boot from the CD
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

My apologies, apparently is does require 10.4 (which seems a little odd to me).

But yeah, if you want people to help you, they really need to know exactly what computer you have.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjei7 View Post

I actually meant to ask Msteinmr, but for some stupid reason I decided to quote your message. Sorry.

• Reply 17 of 17
    so, what ever came of your problem?