Easy fixes....I hope

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

I have had my Macbook Pro for almost a year now and I love it. I have a few questions/issues that I imagine are really easy to fix and I am hoping someone will share their insight.

1. Whenever it boots a superdrive 2.1 update appears and says device not found. I can click OK but it will show up on the next reboot. How can I get rid of this?

2. For a few weeks now the Mac (still using Tiger) will not go to my Hotmail inbox. It cycles through a bunch of web address and then gives this message:

Windows Live ID is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:

This site may be experiencing a problem.

The site may not be a member of Windows Live ID.

any ideas?

3. I see a new large Tiger update is available, however I am getting Leopard for Christmas so I am wondering if there is really a point to install this update?

4. When I do get Leopard I know that I should back everything up prior to install. What is the best way to do this?

5. We just purchased a new LCD television and I would like to hook the MacBook Pro up to it for music and movies. If I buy a DVI to HDMI adapter will the imagine come through on the tv or is there a better way to do this?

I think thats it for now. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    1. Try looking in Utilities, and trash the app if you find it.

2. That's effing weird. Try nuking your cookies for hotmail/MSN

3. Who knows, maybe it will fix some of these issues. I doubt it, but maybe.

4. Do and Archive and Install. It's under Customize when you are prompted to install. Also skip printer drivers and other languages besides english, if you want to speed up installation. And if you have the shareware called APE or Application Enhancer, for the love of god delete it before upgrading.

5. That ought to work. HDMI is a shitty standard that has inter-operability issues. But I'd be surprised if that didn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoenix29 View Post

Hello everyone,

I have had my Macbook Pro for almost a year now and I love it. I have a few questions/issues that I imagine are really easy to fix and I am hoping someone will share their insight.

1. Whenever it boots a superdrive 2.1 update appears and says device not found. I can click OK but it will show up on the next reboot. How can I get rid of this?

Either delete the app like 1337 said, or go to System Preferences > Accounts > (your account name) > Login Items, and remove "SuperDrive Update 2.1" from the list.

Quote:

3. I see a new large Tiger update is available, however I am getting Leopard for Christmas so I am wondering if there is really a point to install this update?

If, for the most part, everything is working fine, I'd say ignore it.

Quote:

4. When I do get Leopard I know that I should back everything up prior to install. What is the best way to do this?

Archive and Install is a good idea, and will avoid most problems, but an actual backup is ALWAYS a good idea. Purchase an external hard drive (you'll need this for Time Machine, anyway), and use Disk Utility to "restore" your current drive contents to the new drive, which you should format to Mac OS Extended (HFS+) first.

If that's not possible, back up critical files to CD/DVD/jumpdrive, and proceed.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the answers thus far. The Superdrive update worked and now to tackle the hotmail problem