Waiting 4wks. for 24" 2.4 imac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all, this is my first post.

I wonder if anyone here has insight on the priority chain for computers from apple. I ordered a computer 4 wks ago from a friend at a local electronics retail store. It was 20 bucks cheaper than the apple store, and my friend makes a couple bucks commission off it. I ordered it a week after leopard came out cause I figured it would come preinstalled that way.

At the time I paid for it, there were 8 of the imacs on backorder. Checked in 2 weeks later....no imac. a week after that... no imac but there were now 24-24' imacs on backorder.

I called today, and the warehouse rep said they are still on backorder, and he doesn't know when they will come in, because they had a delivery date of a week ago. So I called the apple store and they said they would ship the next business day, and that I would get my computer most likely on the next friday.

None of this makes any sense. Does apple not ship to retailers when they are having trouble supplying the apple store. Is anyone else experiencing delays in recieving their computers they ordered after the release of leopard? Especially persons who ordered from 3rd party retailers. I'm reluctant to cancel my order and order from apple cuz i'm sure the computer would show up the next day at the store.

Anyone have any ideas of whats going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I they are trying to ensure that they don't ship it to you with Tiger, there's still a lot of tiger boxes in the food chain, I know. They may be also trying to make sure no more iMacs freeze on any more people.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I was wondering about the freezing problem. It seems that that is fixed so I would expect something to be shipped soon.

does this mean that others have been waiting as long as me?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

I was wondering about the freezing problem. It seems that that is fixed so I would expect something to be shipped soon.

does this mean that others have been waiting as long as me?

Yes. You should get it before Friday I'd say.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    yetiyeti Posts: 10member
    just an update for anyone who read this when I originally posted it. I still havent recieved my imac as of today. Im a sucker for waiting this long. The electronics retailer still maintains they are getting a shipment "this week" (every week since I bought it) and I'm going on a month and a half of having paid for a computer i'm not using. I might probably get it by the next processor upgrade.

I think anyone who orders from a 3rd party retailer will get scrwd cause apple clearly gives priority to themselves and their apple stores before shipping to regular stores. I knew better when I bought it but i wanted to help a friend. I'm canceling my order tomorrow, getting my money back and ordering a refurb for way cheaper from apple.

I wonder how many ordered and recived a 24 inch 2.4 between the time i originally posted and now. and where you bought yours
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I wonder how many ordered and recived a 24 inch 2.4 between the time i originally posted and now. and where you bought yours

I ordered mine (from Apple Online Store UK) on 17/10. Originally it was due to arrive by 9/11, but was delayed at the last minute and arrived on 14/10.

So about 4 weeks directly from Apple. The "freezing" patch was released a couple of days after I received mine, so maybe the delay was caused by this (I didn't have to install the patch anyway).

I guess that the continuing delay suggests Apple are struggling to keep up with demand.

PS It's a fantastic computer and well worth the wait!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    yetiyeti Posts: 10member
    OK! I finally got it today! No more whining. Thanks to those who posted.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

OK! I finally got it today! No more whining. Thanks to those who posted.

Enjoy!