migrating from tiger to leopard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For some reason, I made a backup of my tiger drive onto a firewire disk. I installed leopard on my macbook and now the migration assistant will not work. Does anyone know what can be done manually in order to import all my preferences "mail, network, etc.." just like the migration assistant does.

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    In what manner did you back up the drive before?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

In what manner did you back up the drive before?

I used data backup 3 from prosoft. In the past I never had a problem with this backing up method.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Is the drive bootable? I'm not sure if Data Backup 3 preserves the boot-ability of the system. I know Time Machine does not, but the Leopard Migration Assistant will allow Time Machine-based migrations.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Is the drive bootable? I'm not sure if Data Backup 3 preserves the boot-ability of the system. I know Time Machine does not, but the Leopard Migration Assistant will allow Time Machine-based migrations.

Yes hte backup somehow got corrupt so I assume that is why migration will not work. I should of tested it first to make sure the mac could of booted from it... To much in a rush I guess...

I figured that seeing how all my files were there, migration would of picked up on that and simply went in and found all my preferences etc.. and imported what it could.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hi,

as my FW op my PB went south, I'aim in the impossibility to use the apple method

trick (for what it is worth)

make a dmg file of your PB'sHD with Disk Utility and store on a ext HD

afterwards you can always mount your old HD and find your stuff in pristine condition