Briefly: Dell at Best Buy; Mac Pro and 10.5.2 at Macworld?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    The rumor I hear is the new Mac Pro case is going to be completely made out of a black zirconium dioxide material.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

The rumor I hear is the new Mac Pro case is going to be completely made out of a black zirconium dioxide material.

Don't you mean "cubic Zirconia"?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

you thought correctly! like Aperture, Leopard was released prematurely. both were still beta-like. both disappointing marketing decisions by apple. would apple like to try for a third?

Yeah how about iLife 8 !
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

FYI, from Wikipedia

"On August 7, 2006, Apple Computer filed a patent for using zirconia as casing for mobile devices. Future iPods likely will contain radios for Bluetooth and wide area wireless. Using zirconia rather than steel or aluminum for its radio transparency characteristics enables antennas to be hidden internally in the device. Additionally, some iPods with plastic fronts have been known to scratch easily."
  • Reply 25 of 36
    can i just point out that i think John French's little quote underneath his post reads somewhat oddly. surely the first line should read "if you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day". just thought i'd point it out!
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

And about having to pay for it, what about us PPC users? If I have to pay for an upgrade and not get much benefit out of it when I have already payed for 10.5 I won't be a happy camper.

I seriously doubt we will have to pay for the upgrade because that would be blatantly sticking it to anyone that bought Leopard before the update. Apple created the Accelerate.Framework so developers could create Universal Binary applications without having to hand-code AltiVec and SSE/SSE2/SSE3, and now, SSE4 instructions.

The $7.00 might be for swapping 10.5.0 disks for 10.5.2 disks. If the changes are as major as they are reported, Apple might feel it is worth the effort to provide users with the option of getting disk(s) with 10.5.2 so if they have to reinstall OS X they can start off with 10.5.2 instead of having to update to 10.5.2 before updating to the current version. People who won't have to reinstall OS X will just have to deal with this update and then it will be a distant memory.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

"If you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish, then he will buy an ugly hat. And if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you're a consultant."

-Scott Adams

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

can i just point out that i think John French's little quote underneath his post reads somewhat oddly. surely the first line should read "if you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day". just thought i'd point it out!

What are you...a consultant?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    I think the real reason Jobs didn't attend the ceremony was that it was a black tie affair.

Have you ever tried getting a bow tie around a turtleneck?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will the new Mac Pro require users to supply an iTunes account and credit card number before they can use it at all?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    How about some decent video cards for the Mac Pro? Hmmm?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will the new Mac Pro require users to supply an iTunes account and credit card number before they can use it at all?

Before they can use what?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Agreed

And about having to pay for it, what about us PPC users? If I have to pay for an upgrade and not get much benefit out of it when I have already payed for 10.5 I won't be a happy camper.

Just fix Disk Utility Apple, and all the other quirky bugs PLEASE and do it SOON!

I ran into the same issue, as well as other utilities crashing after upgrading to Leopard. A Google search led me to this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=5818587

It seems that you can end up with two Utility folders, one for Leopard and one for Tiger. After doing a spotlight search for the app in question, I found that the older versions crash everytime, while the contents of Applications>Utilities all work perfectly. Trash the old folder AND any old icons in the Dock (they just bounce once, and do nothing else), and your troubles (related to this) should be over. Mine were... after a month of profanity. For once, it was something ridiculously simple, totally hidden right under my nose.

Good luck.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Apple software engineers are reworking Leopard code to optimize it for the SSE4 instructions found within Penryn and the architecture as a whole, both of which promise speed gains above and beyond clock speed boosts.

Everything in here I pointed out months ago and the lack of comments noting it as relevant reveals to me how very little most of you know how an Operating System is developed.

Perhaps 10.5.2 will be the first release worthy of upgrading.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

Because Mac Video Cards are HORRIBLE...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple's video card choices suck, plain and simple. Not only are the video cards in the iMacs underpowered, they have been isolated as the main reason for the freezing issue. I think the MBP got a decent break with the 8600gt, but it is by no means a screamer. The mini has older-than-dirt integrated GMA950, and the Mac Pro's video cards are almost three years old in some cases.

The base video card in the Mac Pro (nVidia 7300GT) is 17 months old and pathetically underpowered. It's like putting a 2-cylinder engine in a Mustang.

The x1900xt in the Mac Pro will be three years old this coming January. Some people had to have their cards replaced due to artifacting. Apple had Foxconn produce a revision 2 of the card that supposedly cut down on the artifacting.

The Quadro FX 4500 is about two and a half years old (July 05) and has been superseded by several generations of professional-level graphics.

Apple prefers cards that are quiet, and in doing so have and will regularly de-tune the cards to lower clock speeds so that fan speed can be kept to a minimum. Apple never takes into account graphics performance, or anything related to gaming, because quite frankly, His Steveness doesn't want you playing games on your Mac. He wants you to make edible garbage with iMovie 08 and post it to YouTube.

Pouring salt in the wound, Apple charges outrageous prices for these video cards, when you build-to-order. Want to add a second 7300GT to your Mac Pro?? It will cost you $150.00, when it can be purchased RETAIL for $50.00 or less. How about the x1900xt?? $400.00 for that card, where (if you can even find it anymore) it costs $150 or less. Consider this: an nVidia 8800GTS that would literally spank the x1800xt costs about $250.00. So for an extra $150.00 you can have a three year old card.

They could have done so much better on the video card options in the iMac, but they wanted high margins and low noise. And they could have at least updated the Mac Pro's at least ONCE since its inception a year and three months ago. The Mac Pro has been virtually untouched since its inception.

Apple has no grasp of video card technology, given their long history of poorly-performing and absurdly expensive graphics card choices.

Now that, THAT, my friends, is one hell of a 'fringe pulling'.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    ^^^^

It gets worse.

Hopefully Apple will address the video card situation at Macworld because its starting to get ridiculous. Is it me or does the combination of Apple machine and ATI cards just suck?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is it me or does the combination of Apple machine and ATI cards just suck?

I think just the combination of any kind of graphics chipset and a Mac sucks. Almost every single model they've released has had some sort of driver problem.

The nVidia cards have had big problem in the past too.

Something is very clearly wrong with the way they do things related to graphics cards because they only support about 10 distinct models over the last 5 years or so and they can't even make them work properly.

How bad can your development be when Windows supports hundreds of graphics chipsets with better support like anti-aliasing and better shader support and you can't even support 10 properly.

Not only that but charge more than double for the cards.