Help with an external drive issue please

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all - this may be an old question but is new to me.

I use a Mac powerbook and my iTunes music folder is on an external Maxtor hard drive. It all works fine.

Unfortunately my Powerbook has gone in for repair and I have a loan powerbook.

I have loaded iTunes on the new machine, powered up my Maxtor which is recognised, selected the folder on the Maxtor in preferences in iTunes but iTunes is not displaying the songs.

I'm obviously missing a step in the process - can anyone enlighten me?

Phil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pterrett View Post

Hi all - this may be an old question but is new to me.

I use a Mac powerbook and my iTunes music folder is on an external Maxtor hard drive. It all works fine.

Unfortunately my Powerbook has gone in for repair and I have a loan powerbook.

I have loaded iTunes on the new machine, powered up my Maxtor which is recognised, selected the folder on the Maxtor in preferences in iTunes but iTunes is not displaying the songs.

I'm obviously missing a step in the process - can anyone enlighten me?

Phil

iTunes doesn't know the files are there. On your original powerbook, or maybe on the external hard drive, there are files in the iTunes folder along with the music folder. These are needed for the new computer to read everything correctly. I believe that if you first go into iTunes preferences and change the iTunes music folder to the one on the external hard drive, then copy the iTunes library and iTunes Music library.xml files to your music folder, it may start to work as you hope.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, so I can't say it'll work for certain. This should start your thinking, though... Good luck.