Apple retail stores bound for Brazil, Mexico City

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(ifoAppleStore) Confirmation of six new locations and official company statements suggest that expansion for Apple Inc.'s retail stores in the coming year will focus on international hot spots, including Brazil and Mexico.

During a press conference Thursday at the Mac maker's new flagship retail store on 14th Street in Manhattan, senior vice president of retail operations Ron Johnson told anÂ*Engadget reporter that there will be a large number of international stores among the 40 or so that company plans to open in fiscal 2008.

Johnson's remarks arrive on the heels of an interview with mall developerÂ*Carlos Jereissati Filho, who earlier this week said two Apple-built shops will open in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with the first opening this month at the Shopping Iguatemi mall. The second store will open in 2008 in the Shopping Marketplace mall.

In addition, sources report that Apple is now negotiating with Reichmann International for space in the Torre Mayor office complex in Mexico City. ItÂ?s the tallest building in the city and include 33,300 square-feet of ground floor retail space, where Apple may eventually locate.

Lastly, there are three new stores planned for the UK, at the huge Westfield London mall opening in late 2008 northwest of that city, in theÂ*Covent GardenÂ*district of London, and another in an unverified northern city.Â*

Gary Allen is the creator and author of ifo Apple Store, which provides close watch of Apple's retail initiative. When Gary isn't busy publishing news and information on Apple's latest retail stores, he finds himself hanging out at one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    if they do open a store in mexico city am selling one of my houses and invest everything on APPL, lol. i don't care what anyone say, Mexico City its like the China of Latin America
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Ok there is like 4 stores in Canada, 3 of them are in Toronto. How about looking at opening some more for our friends up north, I'm tired of listening to my in-laws complain there isn't any in the Ottawa area.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kisinkisin Posts: 14member
    Torre MAyor is were Apple's offices are located in Mexico, maybe they just want more office space.

On the other hand they opened the mexican online store less than a month ago, I'm guessing all this movement is indicative of the iphone coming to Mexico soon, I think they'll open the itunes music store next.

Crossing my fingers the carrier is not Telcel!!!

• Reply 4 of 16
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Westfield isn't Northwest of London, it's in West London, not remotely North. In fact it's exactly due West of the center if you look on a map. I believe it will be the largest shopping center in Europe, the site is massive.

You can see the site in construction here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...&t=h&z=17&om=1
  • Reply 5 of 16
    So it be called the Apple or Manzana in Mexico?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    How about some Apple Stores in France, Germany, Switzerland...?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Y'know Apple, there are more cities in the UK than just London...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I don't believe it. This wouldn't be the first time that local businessmen are bragging about Apple Stores that are nowhere near existence. There will probably two new Apple retailers in Sao Paolo and more Apple office space in Mexico City.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Mexico City its like the China of Latin America

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this comment...

Nope, can't do it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    The second apple store location in Mexico should be Monterrey City.

It is really the industrial center of Mexico.

And it has really cool new landmarks, new museums, lots of parks (regular and theme).

The Santa Lucia River, Fundidora Park... just to name a few things.

Come to Monterrey!

Spend money.

Be happy.

Or not, you know... Whatever.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Exciting.

What's the word on the locations of the other stores they plan to build in 2008?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why are they building stores in the 3rd world when there are still 1st world countries with no stores? This is not a racist comment, simply a comment on who has the money to spend.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I know that you don't mean like that, but there's no educated way for me to awnser, Im from Brazil, Sao Paulo, to be exact, we have the 6th largest PIB on the world, we buy over a milion laptops by year, less then 1% is from apple. They are doing investments here, Brazil is not a 2nd or even 1st world only 'cause it has some areas, large ones, that has nothing really, but Sao Paulo, has more Inhabitants then NY, Sao Paulo greater then many 1st world countryes. The problem is that when foreign guys think in brazil they see Amazonia, and only that huge jungle, and it's not like that. take a look at Google Earth. Sorry for being so rude, but I couldn't find a better way to express myself.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Last year the Mexican economy surpassed that of Canada's, becoming the 12th largest in the world - ahead of Sweden, Australia, S. Korea. I think Apple will find plenty of buyers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why are they building stores in the 3rd world when there are still 1st world countries with no stores? This is not a racist comment, simply a comment on who has the money to spend.

• Reply 15 of 16
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by decoroth View Post

I know that you don't mean like that, but there's no educated way for me to awnser, Im from Brazil, Sao Paulo, to be exact, we have the 6th largest PIB on the world, we buy over a milion laptops by year, less then 1% is from apple. They are doing investments here, Brazil is not a 2nd or even 1st world only 'cause it has some areas, large ones, that has nothing really, but Sao Paulo, has more Inhabitants then NY, Sao Paulo greater then many 1st world countryes. The problem is that when foreign guys think in brazil they see Amazonia, and only that huge jungle, and it's not like that. take a look at Google Earth. Sorry for being so rude, but I couldn't find a better way to express myself.

Yes, sao paulo has a high average income but you still cannot learn to write correct English.

Anyways, if they open a store in Sao Paulo they better have heavily armed security because they are going to be trying to rob the store 24/7.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    They should open their Mexico City store next week, and give out surgical masks with the Apple logo on them!