Sorting albums - I'm baffled

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Help!... Within my list of albums in itunes I have groups of albums by the same artist. Some of these groups belong to a series - vol 1, vol 2, etc. I can get the albums grouped together but I can't for the life of me get them in volume order

I've tried all the sorting options I can think of but to no avail. Can anyone help me please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    If you're already sorted by Album then it should be doing an alphabetical sort by the Sort Album or Album fields. Try checking those fields to ensure the volume detail you want is included (iTunes will not "know" any other way) using Arabic not Roman numerals. You can play with the Sort Album field - at one point I considered copying the year into the beginning of every sort album field so I could get a chronological sort, but that's a project. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for your help davidzLA but I still can't get the albums in order - driving me crazy!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cruiser View Post

Thanks for your help davidzLA but I still can't get the albums in order - driving me crazy!

Select all of the albums by the same artist.

Do a 'Get Info'.

If the artist field is blank, you have slight naming variations of the artist name between albums.

Type in the artist name if this is the case.

Click 'Apply'.

If this isn't the case, I'm stumped.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Select all of the albums by the same artist.

Do a 'Get Info'.

If the artist field is blank, you have slight naming variations of the artist name between albums.

Type in the artist name if this is the case.

Click 'Apply'.

Yep, this sounds like a good idea too... I'm stumped otherwise.

Maybe check to be sure the volume info is the first in the field?

- check to be sure the search field is empty?

- you're definitely in the library and not another playlist?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for your help guys, the problem is sorted!

It was a question of familiarising myself with the different sort options.

cruiser