Graphics Cards on Macbook, Macbook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    bbjaibbjai Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Well, there's no denying that with the launch of the 8800M portable card, Apple's entire range has been made a laughing stock re: GPUs!!!

When you can get a portable GPU that smacks Apple's tower range?

How embarrassing.

How pathetic.

Sure, that's really 'Thinking Different'.

Maybe Apple are still figuring how to compete in GPUs?

iMac? Sucking GPU.

Mac Pro. Sucking GPU.

Macbook. Integrated Crapics.

Mac Mini. Integrated Crapics.

Mac Book Pro. Well. Erm. It's not a 8800M, now, is it?

Flagship video/print/3D production machines?

Poor.

At least give us the goddamn choice. You don't even get a choice on the Mac Pro. Unless two years out of date is your kind of 'choice'?

Dire.

Lemon Bon Bon.

The 8800M will never see light in any Mac Products. I cant see them putting in something that will ruin the heat balance as it is. Not to mention a 8800M is a good deal bigger then the current 8600GT that they have housed in the MBP.

I think this brings up a good point the Macbook is way overpriced. No super drive and no graphics cards. Thats fine, I think im cool with that. But why is it priced higher then anything else when its lacking in features. Its a bit stupid
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbjai View Post

The 8800M will never see light in any Mac Products. I cant see them putting in something that will ruin the heat balance as it is. Not to mention a 8800M is a good deal bigger then the current 8600GT that they have housed in the MBP.

I think this brings up a good point the Macbook is way overpriced. No super drive and no graphics cards. Thats fine, I think im cool with that. But why is it priced higher then anything else when its lacking in features. Its a bit stupid

every person who think the MacBook is stupid and expensive, Apple has 20 others who think the MacBook is awesome and will buy them in droves.

In the end, that's why the stock price is so high.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

every person who think the MacBook is stupid and expensive, Apple has 20 others who think the MacBook is awesome and will buy them in droves.

I think you will also find, people value these aesthetics, Sony Vaios are way overpriced too, but they are such a cool piece of kit compared to your stock standard Dell you'll find people paying for it. Thats my theory on why the MAc sells so well. They are just such sweet pieces of kit that everyone wants one deep down inside them. And its such a big driver in the customer base for all of the mac customers. If you added a GPU u would screw with that entirely
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Apple should just lower the X3100 MacBook prices and put a proper dedicated GraphicCard on the current MacBook pricing (im talking bout the second highest - highest end in the current MacBook pricing line). Then its fair for everyone.

If you dont need a good GPU, then save some money and get a cheaper one, if GPU is important to you and you dont have the budget to get a MBP, then get the dedicated GPU version then for higher price.

If only Apple would listen
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Apple did not design or market the Macbook to do that sort of work. That's the wrong tool for the job. The macbook is a consumer machine. IMO the argument shouldn't be, 'why doesn't the Macbook have a dedicated graphics card' but rather 'why isn't the macbook cheaper'?

Consumer laptops don't need dedicated graphics cards IMO.

The whole consumer/professional distinction is retarded, because in reality, that's not how computer users are divided up. Are we really supposed to believe that only "professionals" require decent graphics power? For example, gaming on the Mac is a reality (despite Steve Jobs' indifference) and there's a huge amount of room between crappy integrated graphics and super high-end stuff - it's called mid-range, and it's the best-selling category on the PC side. That should come as no surprise, because it's where the dollar value is the greatest. It also has a lot of applicability to non-gaming purposes.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Apple should just lower the X3100 MacBook prices and put a proper dedicated GraphicCard on the current MacBook pricing (im talking bout the second highest - highest end in the current MacBook pricing line). Then its fair for everyone.

I agree 100%. But I am not holding my breath on that. I don't know the specifics, but this looks like Apple should develop, market and support two different hardware architectures for its entry level notebooks, based on the GPU differences (integrated or dedicated). This translates to higher cost. I am inclined to believe that Apple would never do this. Or at least not in the visible future.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    As integrated graphics suck less and less, i imagine this will become less and less of an issue. In the meantime, as long as Apple includes top-tier graphics cards in the MBP line, I'll be happy. I'd really like to see 512MB VRAM, myself. 128 is kinda... 2001. For any gaming at all it's sub-standard.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    malusmalus Posts: 28member
    I'm really banking on being able to play the next generation of games on a Macbook Pro for several years to come. I hope they do put something a little faster than the 8600 in. I mean, it's fast now, but it will be falling behind soon.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    malusmalus Posts: 28member
    edit: double post
  • Reply 30 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I just started looking at another Alienware because I have my doubts about Apple being anything more than a Barbie PC anymore. They are trending into the 1984 commercail with the "optionless, freedom-less lifestyle - or the highway", and AIO or nothing mentality they are enforcing on their core user base. With the intel transition they could have brought graphics on parity with PC's, but instead they have decided they do the choosing for you. Integrated graphics, AIO, and EFI have reduced this platform to play toy computers that you see in the toys department at K-Mart, Target, and Wallmart. It's a sad time to be recent Mac purchaser.The future for Apple in serious computing looks bleak.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

As integrated graphics suck less and less, i imagine this will become less and less of an issue. In the meantime, as long as Apple includes top-tier graphics cards in the MBP line, I'll be happy. I'd really like to see 512MB VRAM, myself. 128 is kinda... 2001. For any gaming at all it's sub-standard.

less and less of an issue meaning the graphic card will improve? well, yeah everything improves but the question is when?.

And of coarse they will include top-tier GPU in the MBP line, MBP is considered as their premium line.

I hope that Apple would in the future (next year) put a dedicated graphic card into the current MacBook's and release a cheaper version MacBooks with integrated GPU's. Then all party would be happy
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

And of coarse they will include top-tier GPU in the MBP line, MBP is considered as their premium line.

not to burst you bubble but a "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM"

is not "Top-tier" in any regard. if they changed to a "8700M GT" or a "8800M GT" would be much better.

For around the same price of a mac. a dell laptop is offering a "Dual 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT graphics with NVIDIA SLI Technology"

Which is better than the SINGLE "8600M GT".. APL needs to get the next generation of MBP in order to be top tier laptops again.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Probably consumer laptops don't need a card with dedicated VRAM however there must be a large number of MacBook uses with GMA950 machine who are unable to play some of the paultry selection of games available at the moment, however Apple has no interest in pleasing that market.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Apple's most popular line has Intel graphics; I just wonder how long the deal lasts.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Probably consumer laptops don't need a card with dedicated VRAM however there must be a large number of MacBook uses with GMA950 machine who are unable to play some of the paultry selection of games available at the moment, however Apple has no interest in pleasing that market.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Apple's most popular line has Intel graphics; I just wonder how long the deal lasts.

The GMA 950 cant even run the current most popular custom war 3 map Dota. Can't run a basic game like Warcraft 3 which is pathetic in my book to be honest. A similar priced notebook at the Macbook price would easily eat that game alive. I find it disappointing that a Macbook can't compete on that level. But then other laptops can't compete with it in terms of looks and package
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I think MBP should have the best power in processing, but it is not offering best Graphic card. i believe MBP need to have SLi technology for two reasons; one reason is to be the top of line laptop and the other reason is MBP is the best apple laptop. this is going to affect the sales and reputation if we considered the technology available that is offered by apple notebook competitors. Now there is Dell xps 1730 which has top end intel chips and top end nivida graphic card 8700GT SLi. so when we are going to see apple do that in their MBP.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

But Macbooks are overpriced, that's why I bought a Toshiba that has more features for $500 less, back in the summer: 200 GB hard drive, 2 GB, DVD burner, and a ATI IGP.

For $1300 in the PC world, you're getting a laptop similar to the MBP. With an 8600, couple gigs of RAM, etc.

I don't think offering an 8800 in a MBP would make any difference, as Macs don't play games, you could still use Boot Camp, but meh.

I got a Mini last week, I already have a DVD burner, that I could pull out of my Vista tower, and toss in a ext. Firewire case, and I have hard drive space 'o plenty on my PC - the $600 model was acceptable, but I still realize that it's overpriced. Dells 3-4 years ago had GMA 950 graphics, and an 80 GB HD?

I think the iMacs are fine for people that don't have a monitor/PC already, or are captivated by the tweaked, 3 year design, which is the same as the G5 iMac, but with a black border, and inferior, glossy LCD.

I feel like Apple has been neglecting/resting on their laurels with their computer line - designs are stale, all white, white + silver, or silver boxes. And offer a real desktop while they are at it too.

And as a Windows user, Tiger/Leopard is fine, my only real complaint is Finder, which I hate.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    There's no way a MBP is going to have SLI anything and remain 1" thick. That Dell xps 1730 looks like the least portable laptop being made today.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbjai View Post

so, why do people buy macs then..

It's never been about form factor for me, it has always been about the OS.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

i believe MBP need to have SLi technology for two reasons; one reason is to be the top of line laptop and the other reason is MBP is the best apple laptop.

No not SLI for two resons

1: The MBP will become thicker.

2: The amount of power this will eat up, will be horrible.

I believe that getting a single 8700M GT or a 8800M GT would be preferred.

they are powerfull and dont consume too much power. making the MBP still portiable but still has some bang for the buck.

I think every one can agree on that. Apple needs to upgrade the MBP seires to have more bang for the buck, but still holding all the qualities that the MBP had before like the battry life and thickness.

Quote:

It's never been about form factor for me, it has always been about the OS.

I Can say this is half the reason im looking into a Apple Computer I want the new OS because its clean and im simply over Vista.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Wow, GMA950 cant even play DOTA? Noooooo. Okay that got to be the suckest living graphic card on earth, Warcraft is like erm a 7 years old plus game? and GMA cant play is properly.

Apple must introduce a dedicated graphic card option in the MacBook line such as a GeForce8400 eventhough its not the best, at least its much better then a X3100. And playing a normal game is still okay.

Well I guess Apple might release something to WOW about in the new MBP. Hopefully it will feature a top-tier GPU and a dedicated GPU for MB.

The only reason why im not getting a IBM/Lenovo is cause later on, I need to change to Vista and I must buy new printers and etc. Damn MSoft. Oh yeah and I dont like Vista. 1GB of Ram needed just to run it, I cant imagine what will happen after I fill in half of my harddisk with data's