iPhone 2008 software improvements

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I suggest three software improvements for Apple iPhone's Safari, Calender, and Stocks interface. These should be relatively easy to enable, given they are based on some functions the iPhone already has.

Safari – Add a button that puts the user at the bottom of a web page. For users that visit long web pages, such as online communities, forums and blogs, they could dramatically shorten the time it takes to reach the bottom of the web page and read the latest post, make a reply, etc.. Since there is already a bar that puts the user at the top of a web page it should make sense to add one that does the opposite.

Stocks – Add a Refresh button to the screen. That makes watching stock quotes easier and causes less wear and tear on the Home button. The less users have to hit their Home button the longer it's going to last before their iPhone needs to be repaired. Safari web pages have a refresh button. Shouldn’t Stocks?

Calendar – Place a Subtract button next to the Plus button. Pressing the Subtract button will bring up another screen showing the highlighted day’s list of events and give the option to delete all of them at once. Another option is to reschedule all of them, en masse, to any other day. Events moved in this way retain their qualities, such as Start and End times, alerts, etc..

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    As discussed in SurfRat's topic named "Safari - Multiple Page Browsing", which is located at http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1181942

Having multiple web pages open in Safari still requires every page to reload after a certain amount of time. This means a user has to return to an empty/blank screen and wait, once again, for the entire webpage to reload. In effect, a user could have read most of the webpage and then went to another web page - only to return and find a blank screen, forcing them to redownload again just to continue from where they were reading.

This defeats the purpose of having multiple web pages open in the first place. It increases the wait time to redownload the same data for a webpage, increases the traffic along the network (without the user manually hitting refresh), and overall frustrates the user making a relatively slow internet experience - slower.

As another member, Gizmo-xl, said, "the data should be cached instead, until that page is closed". I agree with this and hope this could be resolved by updating the software, not the hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    I'd like to see a 'Call Back & Delete' button in the voicemail portion of the phone. I generally keep voicemails only until I return the call, then I delete them. Being able to do both with one action would be very nice.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

I'd like to see a 'Call Back & Delete' button in the voicemail portion of the phone. I generally keep voicemails only until I return the call, then I delete them. Being able to do both with one action would be very nice.

Good idea, SurfRat.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'd like to see a HOME button for Safari. Similar to any browser on a computer.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I would love to see voice dialing.

Also, I would love to see the option to move the "Slide to Answer" or "Slide to Unlock" switch to the top of the screen. When I'm holding the iPhone in my right hand and try to unlock the phone to answer a call or access the iPod function, it's awkward sliding the switch with my thumb. I feel like I'm about to drop the iPhone. If Apple allowed an option to move this to the top of the screen, iPhoners could answer/unlock their phone more easily with one hand.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

When I'm holding the iPhone in my right hand and try to unlock the phone to answer a call or access the iPod function, it's awkward sliding the switch with my thumb. I feel like I'm about to drop the iPhone.

Yes! I totally agree. I almost always will use two hands to answer/unlock the phone. Although not crucial, this would be a nice and very functional new feature.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    You know what's extremely annoying? We have a modern PDA and we cannot simply copy a contact phone number from the Contacts page and paste it into a text message. Come on Apple. Palm is walking all over our asses with an OS that can do the basics and do them well (even if it has an ugly UI).

This phone has been out for six months and we STILL cannot cut and paste or send multiple recipients a text message. WTF?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I would LOVE a reminder beep/vibration for missed calls and text messages. EVERY phone I've ever owned had a reminder on them! Simple software improvement!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Home Button use

Depressed from any application, it moves you to the active menu page

When asleep, a simple depression wake up your iphone.

I would appreciate these improvements :

If you are on the first page of the menu pages. depressing the home button will put your iphone to sleep.

Depresssing and holding the home button for x seconds : Sleep

To day : Nothing happens

Now, if you have several menu pages.

depressing the home button will move you to the first page of the menu pages.

Going home !

You will mostly use the wake-sleep button to switch off the iPhone

The sequence :

App>Menu (Local Home)>First page menu (Home)>sleep>wake First menu(Home)

A good idea ?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto

Safari – Add a button that puts the user at the bottom of a web page. For users that visit long web pages, such as online communities, forums and blogs, they could dramatically shorten the time it takes to reach the bottom of the web page and read the latest post, make a reply, etc.. Since there is already a bar that puts the user at the top of a web page it should make sense to add one that does the opposite.

I have a seamless solution for that, in fact I have solutions for lots of things like this. It's simple. Tapping the status bar brings the user "back to top"? Well tapping it again, when at the top would "bring to bottom" of webpage. They could have it so a double tap brought the user to the bottom of the webpage, or simply tapping it once when at the top, either way would work.

Also; I think they should make the bottom toolbar in Safari "somewhat" transparent, to see what's under it.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peterxxx View Post

Home Button use

Depressed from any application, it moves you to the active menu page

When asleep, a simple depression wake up your iphone.

I would appreciate these improvements :

If you are on the first page of the menu pages. depressing the home button will put your iphone to sleep.

Depresssing and holding the home button for x seconds : Sleep

Now, if you have several menu pages.

depressing the home button will move you to the first page of the menu pages.

Going home !

You will mostly use the wake-sleep button to switch off the iPhone

The sequence :

App>Menu (Local Home)>First page menu (Home)>sleep>wake First menu(Home)

A good idea ?

Eh, no. They do not want to confuse the heck out of people.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate

This phone has been out for six months and we STILL cannot cut and paste or send multiple recipients a text message. WTF?

Six Months? Try 15 months!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

I'd like to see a HOME button for Safari. Similar to any browser on a computer.

Would be nice.

They could fit it here on the top left the if made the Goog bar smaller.