Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4501 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The studios probably perceive the HD formats as nothing more than a way to charge $10-$15 more per disc, so for them to make the discs affordable would defeat the purpose in their minds.

Not sure about studios charging more for a movie, but they probably wanted consumers to double/triple dip on their best sellers. This is one of the important reasons for studios to be able to add interactive features like IME and even the internet mediated features to separate itself from the old generation HT experience. I would think the current premium price of HDM is temporary for the early adopters/enthusiasts only. The HDM price should come close to SD-DVD price soon, when it starts being consumed close to mass rate. ( B1G1 deals already bring down the price to SD-DVD level for Blu-Ray.)

There can only be so many versions of cuts one can generate out of a film to make even the enthusiast to multiple dip.
  • Reply 4502 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This is the bullseye here. I walk into target and I'm seeing Blu-ray and HD DVD movies as high as 34.98. The recent best selling DVDs are 13.78. It's easy to do the math here. Neither format offers such a significant experience over DVD that consumers are willing to spend %60.

WOW! you've changed your tune!

Quote:

This whole battle has been a fckn farce. Both sides are crowing about sales and eventually winning (which many in this thread suck the swill happily) but the reality is the players aren't moving unless they're giving away heaps of movies when compared to DVD sales.

earlier in the year you were SO ready for the "battle" whats happened? gone neutral?

Quote:

The economy is not good..housing and fuel prices have stifled alot of entertainment expenditures yet the studios blindly trudge forward with outlandish pricing thinking that low cost "razors" will suddenly make the expensive razorblades more palatable to the public. Wake up.

I thought you were of the opinion that the cheap HD-DVD "Razors" trumped all?

AHH!! the pennys just dropped, I shouldn't be surprised, you are just doing another one of your famous 180 U-turns.

I've missed those.
  • Reply 4503 of 4650
    Quote:

Sounds about right. I would add though that I'd be very surprised if the successor to the xBox 360's games didn't come on 51GB HD DVD discs; I just can't see Microsoft shipping games on Sony's PS3 format of choice in 3-4 years from now. Even if they don't, it'd be a good idea for the optical drive in the next xBox to be a combo player of all formats; in the event that HD DVD goes the way of the Dodo they wouldn't be leaving their supporters out in the cold.

err.. dude, it's MICROSOFT!

IF things go M$ way and they can get movie downloads off the ground and crush the HDM market, they would have no qualms about supporting whatever format they wanted, in a few years time.

but if they can get their way and take over the movie download market, then it would be simple for them to shift that amount of data out to gamers, so all the game data would be downloaded.. meaning an almost certain SUBSCRIPTION model on a games console and M$ have been pushing for that in all their business' for a few years now, they just hope and wish that xbox live takes off, because its a constant revenue flow and once you are hooked, its really hard to give up.. just like the internet itself.

Nintendo and Sonys solution is to NOT charge, which to my mind speaks volumes.
  • Reply 4504 of 4650
    Quote:

This whole battle has been a fckn farce. Both sides are crowing about sales and eventually winning (which many in this thread suck the swill happily) but the reality is the players aren't moving unless they're giving away heaps of movies when compared to DVD sales.

The economy is not good..housing and fuel prices have stifled alot of entertainment expenditures yet the studios blindly trudge forward with outlandish pricing thinking that low cost "razors" will suddenly make the expensive razorblades more palatable to the public. Wake up.

It sure doesn't help to have this format war raging, confusing consumers and making many stay on the sidelines hoping it will be resolved. But of course you wouldn't see that. Only a few months ago, you were saying you hope this war goes on, as long as HD DVD survives long enough. I'd say somebody is being hoisted by his own petard.

If you want to talk about a fckn farce, this forum is it. Apparently, some imbecile hit the wrong "alert" button in a spam thread where I suggested other users join me in reporting it (since Kasper and his automated slave didn't do squat about the spam thread for two days after I reported it) and I got permanently banned for spamming. Making things worse, the stupid contact email for this website doesn't work so I can't even tell AppleInsider they screwed up. Every email bounces instantly, and there's no other way to contact the anonymous admin and/or mod. See if I'll ever report spam here again. What a joke.
  • Reply 4505 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

................................., you are just doing another one of your famous 180 U-turns.

I've missed those.

GIve it a break. Both had a chance. Anyone who early adopted HD-DVD is feeling it right now. At some point you have to look at US sales figures, world sales figures, and realize that it's turned into a Blu-Ray world. HD-DVD may still have a future in cheap recordable media, but neither Sony, studios, or consumers were going to let a superior technology get beat out by an inferior one. It was all about disk size from the get go if you ask me. They will be able to put whole seasons of TV shows on one disk with Blu-Ray. HD-DVD wont ever have that, unless it's in SD maybe.
  • Reply 4506 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

You can bet that both the Blu-ray Disc Association and the HD DVD Promotion Group are salivating at Warner right now. Here's my take:

If Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive, HD DVD is toast. Paramount/Viacom and DreamWorks Animation will want out of their HD DVD exclusive contracts, and NBC Universal will be forced to release Blu-ray Disc titles, too. Since the HD DVD install base in the US is far smaller than Blu-ray's install base (when you count PlayStation 3), any hope for saving the HD DVD format would be dead.

If Warner goes HD DVD exclusive, Blu-ray will survive only as a gaming disc platform. All the studios, even Sony Pictures, will then go on the HD DVD bandwagon for movie releases, leaving Blu-ray as a gaming-only disc for PlayStation 3 games.

My bet is that Warner will go Blu-ray Disc due to the larger install base... and I think that Sony, Panasonic, Philips, and other Blu-ray backers will give them a boatload of cash to drop HD DVD. But don't count out HD DVD entirely... remember, Time Warner owns several HD DVD-related patents (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Blu-ray Disc Association gives them a bunch of money to transfer the HD DVD-related patents to a third party like Samsung).

I look for Warner to stay neutral unless one of the groups throw a huge pile of money their way a la the Paramount situation.

If Warner goes one way or the other I don't see it ending the format war as both sides seem willing to loose big bundles of money in this senseless format war.

If Warner goes blu, though, IMO that may put pressure on Universal to go neutral. Or they may decide that splitting the small HD market with Paramount makes more sense than going neutral and competing with the Blu studios for a slightly larger market.

In the same way, if Warner goes HD I don't see other studios abandoning the Blu platform although some might go neutral.
  • Reply 4507 of 4650
    I see others are coming around to my pessimistic view of the HDM market based on the economy and format war.

BTW, in today's Seattle Times there was a Magnolia insert that featured the lowest price I've ever seen for a BD player, $300 for the Sony 300 which also has the 5 free mail in BD offer.
  • Reply 4508 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

err.. dude, it's MICROSOFT!

IF things go M$ way and they can get movie downloads off the ground and crush the HDM market, they would have no qualms about supporting whatever format they wanted, in a few years time.

but if they can get their way and take over the movie download market, then it would be simple for them to shift that amount of data out to gamers, so all the game data would be downloaded.. meaning an almost certain SUBSCRIPTION model on a games console and M$ have been pushing for that in all their business' for a few years now, they just hope and wish that xbox live takes off, because its a constant revenue flow and once you are hooked, its really hard to give up.. just like the internet itself.

Nintendo and Sonys solution is to NOT charge, which to my mind speaks volumes.

The bandwidth and storage capacity required for High Definition games and movies will not be ready in time for the next-generation of game consoles. If image and sound quality wasn't constantly improving, we'd be there already. But now everyone wants 51GB movies and photo-realistic games. Feature-length movies and games on physical media ain't going away anytime soon. Besides, if Microsoft switched their xBox to a subscription-only product, every gamer would buy PS4's instead.
  • Reply 4509 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak1 View Post

It sure doesn't help to have this format war raging, confusing consumers and making many stay on the sidelines hoping it will be resolved. But of course you wouldn't see that. Only a few months ago, you were saying you hope this war goes on, as long as HD DVD survives long enough. I'd say somebody is being hoisted by his own petard.

If you want to talk about a fckn farce, this forum is it. Apparently, some imbecile hit the wrong "alert" button in a spam thread where I suggested other users join me in reporting it (since Kasper and his automated slave didn't do squat about the spam thread for two days after I reported it) and I got permanently banned for spamming. Making things worse, the stupid contact email for this website doesn't work so I can't even tell AppleInsider they screwed up. Every email bounces instantly, and there's no other way to contact the anonymous admin and/or mod. See if I'll ever report spam here again. What a joke.

Fixed that.

You might also note that we have a forum entitled 'Feedback'. You can take your complaints, and their foul language, over there in the future.
  • Reply 4510 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Fixed that.

You might also note that we have a forum entitled 'Feedback'. You can take your complaints, and their foul language, over there in the future.

Foul language? I was only quoting and repeating after Murch, who didn't attract any attention for writing that phrase in the first place. Besides, one has to create a new account just to be able to post a complaint in the feedback forum, so either way, a new account is necessary.
  • Reply 4511 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak1 View Post

I...and I got permanently banned...

Nice to see you back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

...but neither Sony, studios, or consumers were going to let a superior technology get beat out by an inferior one.

Um, yes they will. There was this former Sony tech called Beta. Have you heard of it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I look for Warner to stay neutral unless one of the groups throw a huge pile of money their way a la the Paramount situation.

If Warner goes one way or the other I don't see it ending the format war as both sides seem willing to loose big bundles of money in this senseless format war.

If Warner goes blu, though, IMO that may put pressure on Universal to go neutral. Or they may decide that splitting the small HD market with Paramount makes more sense than going neutral and competing with the Blu studios for a slightly larger market.

In the same way, if Warner goes HD I don't see other studios abandoning the Blu platform although some might go neutral.

Warner is sitting pretty, and is likely getting all kinds of offers to join one camp or the other.

My initial thoughts on Blu-Ray still stand though. I still don't see why a studio whose corporate parent gets royalties from HD-DVD would go Blu-Ray exclusive, meaning that a competing studio would get increased royalties every time they had a blockkbuster movie.

To me, that is really what got Paramount to move to HD-DVD. I know the BR side keeps talking about the big marketing money, but 150 million is the budget for like, ONE MOVIE.

I think that if Warner moves to HD-DVD it will be for the same core strategic reason, though they will take every incentive offered along the way.
  • Reply 4512 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Um, yes they will. There was this former Sony tech called Beta. Have you heard of it?

Yes, and it also was inferior. You couldn't fit more than an hour on Beta. WTF are you supposed to do with movies that are an hour long? Not watch feature films. There was Beta2, and Beta3 but the time they came out with 3 formats to complicate matters it was too late anyway. They missed the boat.
  • Reply 4513 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I still don't understand this.

On the one hand, the reference is Blu-Ray specific (which is odd given that AAC is a part of both platforms.)

And if the protection has already been broken on the PC, why does anyone care that Apple's 5% marketshare needs a hard coded kernel-level protection scheme?

Can anybody else corroborate this Apple-AACS impasse?
  • Reply 4514 of 4650
    Quote:

The bandwidth and storage capacity required for High Definition games and movies will not be ready in time for the next-generation of game consoles.

your proof is where?

Quote:

If image and sound quality wasn't constantly improving, we'd be there already.

m$ are shipping their games on 8GB discs, you think 8BG is a huge download? even at todays data rates on broadband you could download one level at a time and not miss out much, in fact it would give the game studios the "extra room" for more levels. of course a console like that would rely on HDD and possibly still have a DVD drive so games could be sold with 8BG of games to start you, your sub and the encripted code on the disc allows you access to more levels, that can download while you are playing the few that are on the disc.

Quote:

But now everyone wants 51GB movies and photo-realistic games.

1 extra GB.. mmm.. you HAD to git the jibe in for your PRO HD-DVD views, you are about as neutral as can be arnt you

Quote:

Feature-length movies and games on physical media ain't going away anytime soon.

I tend to agree, but I'm not so blinded with the cultish fervor you display that I can't see where the industry is going DOWNLOADS.

Quote:

Besides, if Microsoft switched their xBox to a subscription-only product, every gamer would buy PS4's instead.

so.. LIVE isn't a subscription service? you don't see that as the thin end of a money wedge?
  • Reply 4515 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

GIve it a break. Both had a chance. Anyone who early adopted HD-DVD is feeling it right now. At some point you have to look at US sales figures, world sales figures, and realize that it's turned into a Blu-Ray world. HD-DVD may still have a future in cheap recordable media, but neither Sony, studios, or consumers were going to let a superior technology get beat out by an inferior one. It was all about disk size from the get go if you ask me. They will be able to put whole seasons of TV shows on one disk with Blu-Ray. HD-DVD wont ever have that, unless it's in SD maybe.

have you read some of his early posts here?

It's U-Turn all over again. but he won't admit it. Time and time again I have seen the HD-DVD nuts on this thread be proved wrong and they WILL NOT admit it. It grates a little, I'm only pointing it out.
  • Reply 4516 of 4650
    Isn't Beta alive and well in TV studios?
  • Reply 4517 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Isn't Bata alive and well in TV studios?

Betacam and Betamax are two different animals. Betacam is still alive and well in the professional environment, though that's changing.
  • Reply 4518 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Betacam and Betamax are two different animals. Betacam is still alive and well in the professional environment, though that's changing.

yes, its changing after HOW MANY years?

also Betacam is derived from Betamax tech.

from the link you provide it is easy to cull the following :-
    Quote:

The original Betacam format records on cassettes loaded with oxide-formulated tape, which are theoretically the same as used by its consumer market-oriented predecessor Betamax, introduced 7 years earlier by Sony in 1975.

Derived from IMO much like CD/RW was derived from CD glass master production tech.

anyway thats tape but it does prove SONYs tech kept going and was useful.

also, the HD-DVDers keep throwing up the supposed SONY "failures" well with the law of averages aren't they about ready for a success?
  • Reply 4519 of 4650
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

have you read some of his early posts here?

It's U-Turn all over again. but he won't admit it. Time and time again I have seen the HD-DVD nuts on this thread be proved wrong and they WILL NOT admit it. It grates a little, I'm only pointing it out.

They are like the 29% that still support Bush. We treat everything (politics, video formats, etc) like they are sports teams we are supporting, which is kind of messed up.
  • Reply 4520 of 4650
    Cripes Walter, who crapped in your corn flakes?

Quote:

your proof is where?

If we reach broadband speeds in 4 years that make a 50GB download take a matter of minutes instead of days, it certainly won't be widespread enough for it to be the ONLY means provided of getting movies and games for the next-generation xBox.

Quote:

m$ are shipping their games on 8GB discs, you think 8BG is a huge download? even at todays data rates on broadband you could download one level at a time and not miss out much, in fact it would give the game studios the "extra room" for more levels. of course a console like that would rely on HDD and possibly still have a DVD drive so games could be sold with 8BG of games to start you, your sub and the encripted code on the disc allows you access to more levels, that can download while you are playing the few that are on the disc.

Um, and you don't think they might want to up the ante for their next-generation console, considering Sony's current generation is already using 50GB discs? Or do you think Microsoft's going to stick to 8GB games while Sony moves to 100GB games? And even if the next-generation consoles came with a Terabyte of storage, that's only 10-20 games and movies available at one's immediate disposal. No one's going to go for that.

Quote:

1 extra GB.. mmm.. you HAD to git the jibe in for your PRO HD-DVD views, you are about as neutral as can be arnt you

Relax Walter, I thought Blu-Ray was 51GB. I didn't have my Sony-endorsed propaganda & sales materials in front of me at the time

Quote:

I tend to agree, but I'm not so blinded with the cultish fervor you display that I can't see where the industry is going DOWNLOADS.

The industry is very much moving toward downloads, but I just don't believe the bandwidth will be fast enough, and more importantly widespread enough, for the next-generation consoles to abandon physical media entirely already.

Quote:

so.. LIVE isn't a subscription service? you don't see that as the thin end of a money wedge?

There's more xBox owners who don't use xBox live than there are those who do; if Microsoft were to force a subscription service by making it the only means of playing games and movies in their next-generation console, everyone's next-generation console would be a PS4.