iMac hardware upgrade for Macworld?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2014
Hi. Whilst I was recording my podcast (The Full Circle Podcast), one of my panelists mentioned that there will be a hardware update for the iMac during Macworld 2008. I am assuming that this is due to the mobile processor update that intel is going through, and seeing that the chips will probably be in the macbooks. I am planning on purchasing an iMac soon to replace my three year old pc. Should I hold my breath and wait, or should I buy now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Even though Intel is launching mobile Penryn CPU's in early January they wont be shipping in systems for atleast a couple of months after that. Plus apple JUST upgraded the iMac line a few months ago. Both of these factors point to no iMac update at macworld. They may release the much awaited headless mac but I dont see a new iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    In a word. No.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think its possible. AI is reporting that Intel will roll out the mobile penryns at the CES on January 7. If Intel roll out the mobile penryn chips then, why wouldn't Apple update the iMacs?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    What differences will there be in the midrange models of these new chips and the current model iMacs?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Penryn uses the new 45nm process, which mean its smaller and should be faster then the current SantaRosa due to it produce less heat and if im not mistaken more transistors in it
  • Reply 6 of 16
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    You're mixing facts here. Santarosa is the mainboard chipset, not the CPU.

Penryn however is the CPU.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I too don't think that MWSF would bring an iMac update. Apple will update the iMac when sufficient stock of the new CPU's is built up, but what would be more important at this point is a more powerful GPU. Penryn will only offer incremental speed improvements; the margins to improve graphics performance though is quite larger, especially in the 24" model that can better handle the heat.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    MacWorld is traditionally the best venue for releasing consumer products for Apple. The iMac the uber consumer product for Apple.

Intel may not have enough mobile chips available by MacWorld for the iMac to be updated but its still *possible*.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguincentral View Post

What differences will there be in the midrange models of these new chips and the current model iMacs?

Clock for clock the Penryns are about 10% faster on average than the 65nm core chips currently in use. Some processes that use sse4 will see even greater improvements. Their are rumors that Apple will release an update to 10.5 to take advantage of sse4.

The biggest advantage is that cpu speeds should go up.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Because Mac Video Cards are HORRIBLE...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple's video card choices suck, plain and simple. Not only are the video cards in the iMacs underpowered, they have been isolated as the main reason for the freezing issue. I think the MBP got a decent break with the 8600gt, but it is by no means a screamer. The mini has older-than-dirt integrated GMA950, and the Mac Pro's video cards are almost three years old in some cases.

The base video card in the Mac Pro (nVidia 7300GT) is 17 months old and pathetically underpowered. It's like putting a 2-cylinder engine in a Mustang.

The x1900xt in the Mac Pro will be three years old this coming January. Some people had to have their cards replaced due to artifacting. Apple had Foxconn produce a revision 2 of the card that supposedly cut down on the artifacting.

The Quadro FX 4500 is about two and a half years old (July 05) and has been superseded by several generations of professional-level graphics.

Apple prefers cards that are quiet, and in doing so have and will regularly de-tune the cards to lower clock speeds so that fan speed can be kept to a minimum. Apple never takes into account graphics performance, or anything related to gaming, because quite frankly, His Steveness doesn't want you playing games on your Mac. He wants you to make edible garbage with iMovie 08 and post it to YouTube.

Pouring salt in the wound, Apple charges outrageous prices for these video cards, when you build-to-order. Want to add a second 7300GT to your Mac Pro?? It will cost you $150.00, when it can be purchased RETAIL for $50.00 or less. How about the x1900xt?? $400.00 for that card, where (if you can even find it anymore) it costs $150 or less. Consider this: an nVidia 8800GTS that would literally spank the x1800xt costs about $250.00. So for an extra $150.00 you can have a three year old card.

They could have done so much better on the video card options in the iMac, but they wanted high margins and low noise. And they could have at least updated the Mac Pro's at least ONCE since its inception a year and three months ago. The Mac Pro has been virtually untouched since its inception.

Apple has no grasp of video card technology, given their long history of poorly-performing and absurdly expensive graphics card choices.

Ye-ah. And what the iMac needs?

A decent GPU.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Lemon Bon Bon, what is your source for the previous quote?

What you posted is cruel but so true. It is just how things are today. As if Apple does not care anymore about the graphics in its computers; so ironic considering how much heavy in graphics is Mac OS X and how many and complex graphics technologies Mac OS X relies on. They do just the minimum for each Mac line. Really sad.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Will there be any difference in cost if apple update the processors in the iMacs?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguincentral View Post

Will there be any difference in cost if apple update the processors in the iMacs?

No one knows. But the general trend in the last years is to drop the prices (but not always just after the update). Otherwise Apple would have some hard time to stay in business in today's market.
  • Reply 14 of 16
  • Reply 15 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no way of knowing for sure, but the current 2.8Ghz iMac is well fast enough for most everyone.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

I too don't think that MWSF would bring an iMac update. Apple will update the iMac when sufficient stock of the new CPU's is built up, but what would be more important at this point is a more powerful GPU. Penryn will only offer incremental speed improvements; the margins to improve graphics performance though is quite larger, especially in the 24" model that can better handle the heat.

and...

Quote:

There's no way of knowing for sure, but the current 2.8Ghz iMac is well fast enough for most everyone.

I'm happy with the 2.8 gig.

Or I would be if Apple would take one of the new 'cooler' and better performing mainstream GPUs and add it as an option to the high end iMac. I'd have bought one already.

Why, WHY can't they just add a gpu as an option? The 8800M Nv. card id great. Why not offer that? The iMac has a 2 inch enclosure... Surely they can put that in a 24 inch wide machine...?

Choice: weak card or weaker.

Not when I'm spending 1,300 on a machine, Apple dudes.

Lemon Bon Bon.