Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4521 of 4650
    This is how you get next-generation players into the hands of consumers who don't care enough about picture and sound quality to pony up for a special player and discs. Smart move, so long as the consumer can't opt out of the Blu-Ray player for a cheaper price on the television (because they will).
  • Reply 4522 of 4650
    Wow, that a pretty sweet deal being offered by a Tier 1 brand name. If I didn't get a Hitachi, I was going to get a Panasonic Vierra. If more companies follow suit, a lot of people will have Blu-Ray without spending any extra money. Not too shabby.
  • Reply 4523 of 4650
    Samsung's BD-P1400 Blu-ray player drops below $300

http://www.techspot.com/news/28174-s...below-300.html

Quote:

Since the beginning of the so-called format war HD DVD has had a price advantage over Blu-ray as far as disc players are concerned. While the former maintains its reputation for being the more affordable technology, Blu-ray leads the way in movie title sales and their players are getting cheaper by the day.

Today, Samsung is setting a new low price record for Blu-ray. Retailers such as Amazon, Circuit City and Best Buy are all listing one of Samsung?s flagship players, the BD-P1400, at prices below $300 ? down $200 from the list price of $499 in late August.

The BD-P1400 features Blu-ray playback at native HD resolutions of 1080p, 1080i, and 720p plus 1080p DVD upconversion. It also packs in Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD support along with the most current HDMI 1.3 spec. In case you need an extra incentive, they are throwing in five free HD movies to the package.

• Reply 4524 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Samsung's BD-P1400 Blu-ray player drops below $300

http://www.techspot.com/news/28174-s...below-300.html

Nice deal. Even, I am almost tempted. Looks like Sumsung is trying to get rid of this model to make room for the combo player or the BD profile 1.1 compliant player soon to be released.

This is by far, the best Blu-Ray hardware deal!....
  • Reply 4525 of 4650
    Another BOGO...the deals keep coming Blu...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...=bluraynews-20
  • Reply 4526 of 4650
    Pali: Sony Blu-Ray Wins DVD War

Quote:

Pali Research's Rich Greenfield has good news for beleaguered Sony (SNE) boss Howard Stringer: His company's Blu-Ray format will win the next-gen DVD format war. The bad news for Hollywood: The existing DVD business is in permanent decline, and the next-gen format won't help anytime soon -- if ever.

Rich predicts (reg. required) that the costly format war between Sony and Toshiba/Microsoft (MSFT) will end in 2008, when Time Warner's (TWX) movie studios stop supporting the HD-DVD format, forcing NBC 's (GE) and Viacom's (VIAB) studios to fall in line. But Hollywood was counting on this format war getting resolved years ago so it could replace slowing conventional DVD sales.

Now, Rich says:

Even with a single next-gen format by mid-2008, we still believe consumer spending on DVD sales will be down about 3% in 2008 compared to 1% in 2007...With the DVD ?halo? gone and digital distribution still in its infancy, studios need to make profitable movies; catalog will no longer save them (particularly, as we suspect most consumers will not be re-buying their existing catalog in next-gen DVD, soon-to-be-known, simply as Blu-ray.

Is it only a matter of when now for Warner going Blu?
  • Reply 4527 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

yes, its changing after HOW MANY years?

also Betacam is derived from Betamax tech.

from the link you provide it is easy to cull the following :-

Derived from IMO much like CD/RW was derived from CD glass master production tech.

anyway thats tape but it does prove SONYs tech kept going and was useful.

also, the HD-DVDers keep throwing up the supposed SONY "failures" well with the law of averages aren't they about ready for a success?

I would judge Betacam a relative success and Betamax a failure.

I would have nothing against a Blu-Ray success if they hadn't loaded the format with restrictive DRM and proved they learned nothing from their past failures (Minidisc et al.)

Let me be clear, If Blu-Ray's DRM was broken tomorrow, and I was reasonably certain that I wouldn't be forced to repurchase my movies again when the Home Server era hits, I would consider switching. Until then, it's DVD for me, and HD-DVD if I have to choose a HD format.
  • Reply 4528 of 4650
    Quote:

Because rumors are more true when they're repeated by analysts?

Somehow, I think Stringer might know more about how things are going for Blu than Rich Greenfield, and since Stringer said the "war" is a stalemate just a few weeks ago, Rich probably shouldn't put a whole lot of faith in to the bi-monthly "Warner's ditching HD DVD" rumor. Not saying it ain't gonna happen, but after supposedly going to happen any day now for a year, people should probably take a "believe it when they see it" stance.
  • Reply 4529 of 4650
    Quote:

As with everything in this format mess, I'll only believe it when I see it. It'd be nice though.
  • Reply 4530 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I would judge Betacam a relative success and Betamax a failure.

I would have nothing against a Blu-Ray success if they hadn't loaded the format with restrictive DRM and proved they learned nothing from their past failures (Minidisc et al.)

Let me be clear, If Blu-Ray's DRM was broken tomorrow, and I was reasonably certain that I wouldn't be forced to repurchase my movies again when the Home Server era hits, I would consider switching. Until then, it's DVD for me, and HD-DVD if I have to choose a HD format.

You must think the Mac a failure too?
  • Reply 4531 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

You must think the Mac a failure too?

eh? I don't follow the logic.
  • Reply 4532 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Because rumors are more true when they're repeated by analysts?

Somehow, I think Stringer might know more about how things are going for Blu than Rich Greenfield, and since Stringer said the "war" is a stalemate just a few weeks ago, Rich probably shouldn't put a whole lot of faith in to the bi-monthly "Warner's ditching HD DVD" rumor. Not saying it ain't gonna happen, but after supposedly going to happen any day now for a year, people should probably take a "believe it when they see it" stance.

And spewing the same FUD in regards to Stringer's out of context "stalemate" statement makes it more true because you keep repeating it? ...especially when Stringer the next week stated he firmly believed Blu-ray has the momentum to win this format war?

Somehow, I think you need to let go of the Stringer comment and not let it blind you to the reality of the situation. Blu-ray is winning and is about two weeks away from a whole year of sales domination.

I fully realize this is a rumor about WB, however, you have Business Week talking about a WB defection to Blu-ray and now you have Pali. You also have insiders over at Blu-ray.com not denying that this is to take place...all I'm saying is that where there's smoke, there's fire.
  • Reply 4533 of 4650
    The problem is, you've yelled 'Fire' about Warner so many, many times before.

And Stringer did absolutely say the war was at a stalemate. That the Blu-Ray hype machine made him backtrack and spin it the "out of context" line does not change the fact that he said it.
  • Reply 4534 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I think it was probably stock holders that made him backtrack. I think the truth is probably closer to stalemate, but a single victor is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

But, last month the format war was as good as over in favor of Blu-ray. That's when I bought my HD-DVD player. [/pessimistic consumer]
  • Reply 4535 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The problem is, you've yelled 'Fire' about Warner so many, many times before.

And Stringer did absolutely say the war was at a stalemate. That the Blu-Ray hype machine made him backtrack and spin it the "out of context" line does not change the fact that he said it.

Many, many times before? I'd like proof. As the only other time I've yelled 'Fire' about Warner before was when an HD DVD supporter purported false claims under the guise of an insider on Blu-ray.com (SA01CD). And even then, I was very cautious in stating that that was a very, very loose rumor, and lacked credibility (and the Insiders at Blu-ray.com stated they had no knowledge of such information).

This is Business Week we are talking about now...analysts like Pali, and the Insider's, sufficeth to say are dropping hints that indeed this will happen.

So, yeah, I'd say you're dead wrong again with your accusation of "'Fire' about Warner so many, many times before." The other times Warner was brought up was when we were discussing whether Warner was going to be looking at the sales of the 4th quarter in regards to their strategy for 2008, and that wasn't me yelling 'Fire' that was HighDefDigest and other online publications quoting Silverberg and others.

In regards to Stringer's comment, I think it is safe to say we can agree to disagree, as we've been over this a couple of times, and after showing the full context of his statement, it is clear that HD DVD proponents such as yourself are interpreting his statement as you see fit...as obviously warped that might be.
  • Reply 4536 of 4650
    It appears that other Blu-Ray backers are already giving players with their HD tvs:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/dep...id=EN&catid=11

That is for the Canadians on the board, too bad I bought in Feb., prices and offers are much better in less than a years time! Anyone remember when 32" CRTs were a grand, now look what you get.
  • Reply 4537 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

It appears that other Blu-Ray backers are already giving players with their HD tvs:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/dep...id=EN&catid=11

It's a very smart move. Toshiba's really missing the boat on this one. Giving the players away for free as an accompaniment to an HDTV might be the only way HDM stands a chance at gaining ground against standard-definition DVD.
  • Reply 4538 of 4650
    True, but it's also a tacit admission that the only way to move Blu-Ray players against the cheaper HD-DVD is to hide the higher sticker price within a larger purchase.
  • Reply 4539 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

They are like the 29% that still support Bush. We treat everything (politics, video formats, etc) like they are sports teams we are supporting, which is kind of messed up.

I support Bush. He did the right thing. It's Americans that are spineless, and easily brain-washable.

And do not reply to that totally off topic post.
  • Reply 4540 of 4650
    Now, even NYT are picking up on Warner possibly going Blu...

http://www.nytimes.com/paidcontent/P...ref=technology

...hey, let's give credit to HD DVD, they had a good run...

Honestly, relax, i kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid. Nothing is over quite yet, but rest assured, if Warner does indeed announce Blu-ray exclusivity at CES 2008, this format war is most definitely over for HD DVD. Do you HD DVD proponents agree or disagree?