Building X MAME for Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi ppl. HAPPY THANXGIVING!!

I recently downloaded the source to X MAME and in order for me to build it for Mac OS X I need to alter the MAKE file. How do I do that? I mean I know that its a text file but how do I modify it? XMAME, in case you didnt already know is the Unix version of the popular emulator that plays classic arcade games.

Thanks in advance...

- Proud iBook Owner 2k2

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]

[ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Do you want to build it just for the sake of building it?

Or do you not know about this?

<a href="http://www.macmame.org/"; target="_blank">http://www.macmame.org/</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Do you want to build it just for the sake of building it?

Or do you not know about this?

<a href="http://www.macmame.org/"; target="_blank">http://www.macmame.org/</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Ive known about MacMAME.org for the longest time but they dont have the latest version... They havent updated since June 2002. I have their last release: .60a. XMAME has a closer to the newest build. The newest Win32 build is 0.62. the XMAME build is version .61 so its close enough. Brad do you know how to build that app? It got something to do with copying the MAKE file and then make installing.....

[ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 20
    ok well i emailed the author and he said he'd try and either compile it for me and send it or he'd tell me how to do it myself. Until then can anyone help me do it?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    ppl? come on.. there are many programs out there that i may wanna compile that have the MAKEFILE installation method and I wanna know how to do it so i can do it myself without having to rely on others. WHEW! What a mouthful... anyway... please ppl if you can help me reply to this post.

P.S. IM NOT GAY!!! JUST BECAUSE I LIKE SAILOR MOON DOESNT MEAN IM GAY!!! ITS A FREE COUNTRY!! This doesnt mean you can rant on me because I'm a male SM fan........

*feels better now that he got that out....*
  • Reply 5 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You mean it doesn't provide a configure script?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>You mean it doesn't provide a configure script?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yep exactly... they say that if you write one that you should contribute it to the project. How hard is a configure script to write?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>ppl? come on.. there are many programs out there that i may wanna compile that have the MAKEFILE installation method and I wanna know how to do it so i can do it myself without having to rely on others. WHEW! What a mouthful... anyway... please ppl if you can help me reply to this post.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, the normal way *IS* to just do:

./configure

make install

That's it. If they didn't create a configure file, then you're going to have to learn autoconf, which makes the configure files. But yeah, it's a pain in the butt. (See, this is why they want other people to do it. )

[quote]<strong>P.S. IM NOT GAY!!! JUST BECAUSE I LIKE SAILOR MOON DOESNT MEAN IM GAY!!! ITS A FREE COUNTRY!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh dude. Sailor Moon is like one short infinitesimal step above Hello Kitty. Just own up to it man, and you'll feel better. Stop living the lie!

[quote]<strong>This doesnt mean you can rant on me because I'm a male SM fan........

*feels better now that he got that out....*</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're into Sailor Moon, *and* SM, and you say you're not gay?

Dude.

• Reply 8 of 20
    This is gonna go off topic like my SM (yes SM) Icons topic but... Whats the problem that I like Sailor Moon? Its an anime and anyone, male or female, gay, lesbian or straight can like it... I'm none of those accept straight. Get it STRAIGHT. Whats the big deal? Im not the only romantic male on this planet... I rest my case.... Oh and Kick... Im NOT living a lie. also FYI SM stands for Sailor Moon. SM and Sailor Moon are the same thing. So lay off please.

Ok now....

NO ONE knows how to compile a MAKEFILE method installation? I really wanna play the arcade games i cant with the current MacMAME.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>This is gonna go off topic like my SM (yes SM) Icons topic but... Whats the problem that I like Sailor Moon? Its an anime and anyone, male or female, gay, lesbian or straight can like it... I'm none of those accept straight. Get it STRAIGHT. Whats the big deal? Im not the only romantic male on this planet... I rest my case.... Oh and Kick... Im NOT living a lie. also FYI SM stands for Sailor Moon. SM and Sailor Moon are the same thing. So lay off please. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny, I thought my incredible overuse of the word 'dude', the smileys, and outright over the top inanity would have clued you in that I was yanking your chain.

Jeez.

Touchy much?

Actually, I happen to know plenty of anime fans who like Sailor Moon. I also know plenty that like Hello Kitty. The two groups have a large intersection. Both are marketed directly at teenaged girls. None of this has anything to do with your sexual preferences in the least bit, of course, other than to provide a bit of humor at your expense in alleging that there is some silly connection.

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...

[quote]<strong>Ok now....

NO ONE knows how to compile a MAKEFILE method installation? I really wanna play the arcade games i cant with the current MacMAME.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What we're telling you is that a Makefile is a very specific action for each and every program you're trying to make. It's specific to that program, that installation, the compiler you're using, where dependency libraries may or may not be installed on your system, the OS, the architecture of your machine, and quite possibly the phase of the freakin' moon.

Autoconf is a program that somewhat automatically creates configuration files (configure) that in turn automatically write out Makefiles. The reason for all these layers of complexity? Portable Makefiles are freakin' difficult. Configuration files are freakin' difficult. It's all nasty.

It's not that anyone is hiding anything from you, it's that while many of us may in fact be able to write complex Makefiles in our sleep, you haven't provided us squat from which to do so, and frankly, it's a very time consuming process.

I'd suggest that if you want to write your own, that you read up on the program 'make' (both gcc and BSD variants - they're very different), configure, and autoconf. Then you're going to have to figure out how to compile this system by hand, before figuring out how to automate it. Then you can contribute it back to the project, and feel good about doing so.

Again, this is all highly specific to your system... not even other MacOS X users can write it for you.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Dude, you brought up the whole Sailor Moon thing.

Kick told you exactly what you need to do to create a makefile and compile. just ./configure and make. However, you said you don't have the initial configure script, right? Well, that's the kicker. Unless you are intimately familiar with the code (like you are with Sailor Moon ) then you're going to have one hell of a time trying to write the configure script. What this script does is choose the files that are going to be compiled and setup the options on the compiler. It's harder than it sounds.

Good luck! (you'll need it!)

edit: damn! Kick beat me to it before I posted this. Ah well, you get the point.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Yeah, it isn't like if we could help you, we wouldn't. We just can't... okay, we *could*, but it would require so much back and forth of questions and answers that by the time we all figured it out, 0.90 would be released.

I'd take the author up on his offer... you might want to ask him for how he did it, as well, to help you learn how to do it on your own.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Good points you guys... Im sorry. I overacted about the SM thing... Im so used to ppl putting me down and making fun of just because of that. My dad even uses that against me when hes mad. He blames SM on my bad grades in high school (when I was still in high school. I graduated this year). So thats why I felt that I had to defend myself. No hard feelings, Kickha and Brad. Thats just how I get sometimes. And about the whole configure speil: Im the laziest person you'll meet online or othewise. Im not a Unix geek, though I'd like to learn Linux because it just looks so damn cool with KDE etc. Anywho..

Thanks again and Im sorry.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    No problem. We have to give you plenty of leeway, you know. I mean, you like *Sailor Moon*... who knows *what* insane things you're capable of?

"Just put down the VCD and no one gets hurt..."

Good luck with the XMame build. (And if you get it running, lemme know so *I* can play it! )
  • Reply 14 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>No problem. We have to give you plenty of leeway, you know. I mean, you like *Sailor Moon*... who knows *what* insane things you're capable of?

"Just put down the VCD and no one gets hurt..."

Good luck with the XMame build. (And if you get it running, lemme know so *I* can play it! )</strong><hr></blockquote>

ok cool...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    why is every thread about salilor moon suddenly? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

my eyes are burning from the mere sight of that name!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>why is every thread about salilor moon suddenly? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

my eyes are burning from the mere sight of that name!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

shaddup macs girl... no one asked you... if you dont like it then dont post a reply..... simple as that.!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Alright, be nice.

PiO2... you *did* bring it up first. Although you seem to have retroactively edited that out... hmmm.

Think it's about time to call this one locked?

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>Alright, be nice.

PiO2... you *did* bring it up first. Although you seem to have retroactively edited that out... hmmm.

Think it's about time to call this one locked?

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

yep brad go ahead and close this 1.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Just let it drop off the page if you have nothing further to add. If more off-topic banter arises, then I'll close it.

It's best to keep threads like this open just in case someone later does actually happen to have information to help you with a configure script of makefile.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Just let it drop off the page if you have nothing further to add. If more off-topic banter arises, then I'll close it.

It's best to keep threads like this open just in case someone later does actually happen to have information to help you with a configure script of makefile.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ive gotten it compiled but I cant get past the copyright disclaimer......