Do i need Mac scan or some other AV

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have had a mac since februray with no problems, but with the increasing users and with leopards security being doubted by the day, should i buy secure mac or some other av or spyware remover

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Currently there are no viruses or trojans in the wild, but that doesn't mean one won't happen sometime. It's going to happen. The question isn't if, but when. It depends on how you want to play the game. I don't have any AV software installed on my Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Depends on how risk adverse you are and what kind of sites you visit.

My old roommate is an IT guy at his company and his home PC running Windows XP has no anti-virus software. I've asked him about it before and he says he just "Doesn't go to any dangerous sites outside of BT sites."

So, depending on your surfing/downloading habits, I'd think you'd be fine without it for now. Just depends on how risk adverse you are
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dam i dont want mac viruses . i love being virus free, any imput on what mac is going to do
  • Reply 4 of 5
    If you don't want to spread viruses to other users, you can always buy a OS X antivirus software from McAfee or Symantec. Most viruses wont hurt you as they are targetted for windows, but you will end up spreading them to others by forwarding emails and such.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Just do your everyday work in a 'Standard' account and have a separate 'Admin' account for occasional system maintenance. Anything naughty will always need to run an app or installer and thus will require Admin authorization.

If you don't already do this, System Prefs/Accounts, create a new account and give admin privileges. Log out of your 'everyday' account and into the new 'admin' one, switch off your 'everyday' account admin privileges.