simpletext for X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
simpletext is my friend.

it should exist for X.

when Apple stopped putting audio inputs on powerbooks i thought it was the stupidest thing i had ever heard - a mobile workstation without audio in...idiocy.

but taking an application so simple and useful and relegating it to the dustbin of history - for this there are no words.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It does exist...its source code is in the Dev Tools as an example Carbon application. All you have to do is open its Project Builder file and build it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    You don't even have to build it, it's under /Developer/Applications/Extras. Enjoy.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Or, just use TextEdit. That's what it's for.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    SimpleText wasn't all that great. Hell, it couldn't even open files larger than 32k.

TextEdit is great, but if you want a good, cheap .txt file editor, I would suggest giving Tex-Edit a try. Do a search on VersionTracker.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Yeah, I'm with Kesh. TextEdit is SO much more powerful than SimpleText and its interface is just as simple. If you don't like TextEdit's toolbar, turn it off in the prefs or in the Format -> Text menu. Plus, the carbon SimpleText uses that ugly old quickdraw-style font smoothing rather than the quartz antialiasing. Yuck.

The only reasons I can think of keeping SimpleText are simply for nostalgia or for using its sound recording abilities. To be honest, every single freeware and shareware audio app available beats the pants off SimpleText for sound recording.

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    textedit was good for HTML. you could add a .html.

what do people use in OSX?

textedit has to have that damn .rtf or whatever letters at the end.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    BBEdit Lite is worth a shot for you people.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by pfflam:

<strong>textedit was good for HTML. you could add a .html.

what do people use in OSX?

textedit has to have that damn .rtf or whatever letters at the end.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No it doesn't.

Format -&gt; Make Plain Text

Now the letters are .txt

Seriously, now you can change those letters to .html (just as you did with SimpleText) and you've got your HTML file.

Check out the HTMLEditorX application at stepwise.com. It's being built as a demo for developers, step by step, but the basic functionality is coming along nicely.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>o be honest, every single freeware and shareware audio app available beats the pants off SimpleText for sound recording.

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

what apps are those? i've attempted to use AudioX but i can't get it to work they won't respond to my emails
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Same here, burningwheel.

It won't record at all.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Err...fresh install of Jaguar and new version of AudioX works....

Maybe I'll think about buying it now.