avi2mov

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
what is some good and free software to convert avi files to something more...readable

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    i use Divx Validator, and then vlc, to view avi's. the validator takes like 20-30 mins to convert about 2hrs. and vlc is pretty good at playing it. i think vlc stands for video lan conference or video lan c...[something]
  • Reply 2 of 4
    avi2mov will work only on files if both the video and audio codecs are available in QuickTime. In recent times, many avis are encoded with DivX and mp3. avi2mov takes these tracks and drops them into a QuickTime file. If the avi file uses another codec, the QuickTime movie (like the original avi) will not play on a Mac. Most older avis use the Indeo codecs which are not available for QuickTime on Mac OS X. There are a number of other codecs that avis use, but it would be futile trying to list them all. Remember: avi is just a container file.

Divx Validator does basically the same thing as avi2mov.

avi2mov is your best option at getting an avi file to play properly on Mac OS X aside from playing on Windows through Virtual PC. The only real alternative would be to find something that could convert from one codec to another (always with a loss of quality or a ballooning file size) but I am not aware of *any* such software on the Mac. vlc (video LAN client) works on some avi files, but not nearly all of them (again, not the ones that use old or non-divx codecs).

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i knew about avi2mov and i have it on my g4 but when i tried to download it from version tracker it downloaded as a php

avi2mov worked fine, i couldn't get it to download properly but finally found it called divosx118 and that had a codec and avi2mov in a disc image...thanks

thanks brad i'll have to check out that one as well
  • Reply 4 of 4
    You can convert between some formats with <a href="http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/"; target="_blank">ffmpeg</a>. It is an opensource command line application, but a lot of people have built an OS X GUI to wrap around it. Such as <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15473&db=mac"; target="_blank">this one.</a>

From their webpage:

FFMpeg is a complete and free Internet live audio and video broadcasting solution for Linux/Unix. It also includes a digital VCR. It can encode in real time in many formats including MPEG1 audio and video, MPEG4, h263, ac3, asf, avi, real, mjpeg, and flash.

I haven't been able to compile the source myself. I get an error when it tries to compile ffmpegserver. Anybody else had any success?

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Quarem ]</p>