Windows 7 multi-touch; iPhone limit raised; TomTom iPhone GPS?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The sequel to Windows Vista will include touch input that outperforms the iPhone, Microsoft claims. Also, the iPhone's buyers are no longer faced with a two-unit cap, and a rumor claims that TomTom is producing a GPS unit for the Apple handset.

Windows leaping to multi-touch for next upgrade?

Microsoft test engineer Hilton Locke drew attention on Wednesday by touting that the next major upgrade to Windows, currently dubbed Windows 7, will outshine any of Apple's current efforts in multi-touch interfaces.

Those who know the iPhone will be "blown away" by what's possible, Locke says.

The company has also expanded into multi-touch hardware of its own as of late and is planning to debut its Surface touch table at hotels and other public spaces next year.

Apple raises limits on iPhone purchases

iPhone buyers in Britain and the US can now buy as many as five iPhones at once, according to Apple.

The phone maker temporarily imposed a limit of two per person in late October both to maintain healthy stock for the holidays and, unofficially, to curb bulk purchases of iPhones destined for unauthorized unlocking attempts.

Rumor: TomTom prepping iPhone GPS receiver

A Dutch tipster has submitted a photo to Engadget of what he claims is evidence of a GPS receiver in the works by TomTom for the iPhone.

According to the rumor, the device would attach to the iPhone's dock connector and provide real-time navigation for the Apple handset, which today has no GPS of its own and relies on the user to find their position using Google Maps.

TomTom is one of the most popular GPS device producers in the world and is based in the Netherlands, supporting the alleged scoop. No evidence has been found of support for GPS in Apple's phone, however.

NBC refunding advertisers due to writer's strike

In a move that has not been seen for years, the TV network NBC is compensating its advertisers as ratings drop during the ongoing writers' strike, say media buyers.

Companies that bought advertising space are seeing an average of $500,000 for their troubles, which began in early November but may only get worse in January. Other major networks are also experiencing a shortfall but are faring better, the according to reports.

The payout compounds NBC's existing drops in revenue, which included abandoning iTunes TV show sales worth at least $15 million over the past year in favor of its web-only, ad-sponsored Hulu service. The broadcaster's service is still in a closed beta test and not yet open to the public at large.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sweet! I love my TomTom and my iPhone.

PS: F@#k NBC!
  • Reply 2 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The next version of Windows will be better than the iPhone? Har har. Yeah, and Longhorn's going to rock too? Right, pull the other one. The next version of OS X is going to be out before the next version of Windows. And the Mac touch is going to be out before that.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    They should have a market ready reply to multitouch by about 2009.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Windows leaping to multi-touch for next upgrade?

Microsoft test engineer Hilton Locke drew attention on Wednesday by touting that the next major upgrade to Windows, currently dubbed Windows 7, will outshine any of Apple's current efforts in multi-touch interfaces.

Those who know the iPhone will be "blown away" by what's possible, Locke says.

The company has also expanded into multi-touch hardware of its own as of late and is planning to debut its Surface touch table at hotels and other public spaces next year.

• Reply 4 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Good luck! Microsoft has four years to best the current iPhone. I think Apple will best their own product well before then.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    oh how the world fails without the writers.

hopefully that'll be over soon.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Microsoft did have a lot of knowledge about touch in Windows since they introduced the Tablet PC concept. The new Dell Tablet PC will get multi touch in a software update soon, here's a video
  • Reply 7 of 98
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Good luck! Microsoft has four years to best the current iPhone. I think Apple will best their own product well before then.

Seems pretty likely doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if their ultra portable had some sort of multi-touch, if not, something in the tablet size will likely have it over the next year or so. Apple are going to want to multi-touch everything they can as soon as they can so they can have it as a signature feature before Microsoft catches up.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    That's really not so hard. The iPhone, after all, only uses a tiny subset of the MultiTouch technology Apple got with their purchase of FingerWorks. The real question is how well would it compare with the complete MultiTouch. There was a report within the last two weeks here at AI that Apple was making improvements to the MT technology that's not related to the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's nice to see a GPS unit, though I'd think that it would be nice to have it use a Bluetooth serial link.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sweet! I love my TomTom and my iPhone.

Yeah except that the news is fake.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The next version of Windows will be better than the iPhone?

You beat me too it, if Windows 7 can not beat out my iPod touch in like 3-4 years (probably 6, unless somehow they can pull it together cut vista off at the legs and make it 2, lmao, can't believe I said that), then M$ has some pretty big issues.

I am all for competition in the multitouch area... where are those linux guys anyway?
  • Reply 12 of 98
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    SCREW TOMTOM...get a dash mount garmin for like $155... Garmins are better anyway...more accurate maps (at least in rual Indiana), better interfaces and better hardware.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Microsoft did have a lot of knowledge about touch in Windows since they introduced the Tablet PC concept. The new Dell Tablet PC will get multi touch in a software update soon, here's a video

I don't believe that the dell tablet doesnt exist...I have been trying to order them for months for work...the release date has been pushed back like 25 times now...hell, the last I heard they were supposed to announce and ship Yesterday.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Quote:

The fact that you have a lot of knowledge about something does not mean you have a lot of smarts about that thing.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

There was a report within the last two weeks here at AI that Apple was making improvements to the MT technology that's not related to the iPhone.

Say more......?
  • Reply 16 of 98
    Quote:

I didn't see any multitouch in that video. What I saw was capacitive touch sensing, MS OneNote, the same old inefective touch-as-mouse paradigm, and some really non-intuitive gestural controls. DOA if you ask me. That flick thing was really awful. I think about ten flicks into scrolling through a long document I'd be ready to throw that thing through the nearest window.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

... just not for a while.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Just how many times does MS think it can play this same scam?

1. Good product A comes out (oh, say Dr DOS)

2. MS makes huge announcement that they have a version 'about to be released' that will blow everyone away.

3. Everyone puts off buying product A (encouraged by MS sponsored trade rags) because we all know that MS wouldn't BS people.

4. Product A withers away because of 3.

5. MS comes out far later then they promised with their rip-off of Product A, except that their product sucks. (But competition matters not, because Company A has been driven out of business.

The difference is that Apple isn't Company A (at least this time), and MS has never succeeded in a market where they have to compete.

But give them credit for trying the same FUD play yet again.

(BTW, aren't they embarrassed yet calling 'Surface' a real interface? Its essentially a 100 pound box of projectors pointing up. About as sophisticated as the kids games you see in malls with projectors overhead that project on the floor as kids stomp around on the bubbles to make them move.

Pathetic.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Say more......?

Apple patents for MT
  • Reply 20 of 98
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    It's sad really. I know some very brilliant people who work for Microsoft, but they lack some kind of leadership or management to actually deliver good products frequently or the acuity to develop or buy up new technologies.

Also, should I install SIlverlight? Or is that simply a crime against standards-based technology?