Outlook Express 5.0.5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As much as I hate to admit it, I have moved from a non-MS product to a MS product

I have started to use Outlook Express for my mail, all seems to be well (besides the selling of the soul stuff), but I can't seem to figure out how to make URLs that are in emails open in anything other than IE. Does anyone else know how to do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Eww, OS 9.

You'll be plenty happy when OE starts causing routine irrevocable holy crap the system just died errors.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    never mind. I'm stupid.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Does that mean you worked it out, Stroszek?

I think Outlook Express 5 was a fantastic application. Not great for news, or IMAP mail, but for POP it was hard to beat. I wish Apple would drop the crappy drawer from Mail and go with a sensible three-pane design. Or at least an option.

It never crashed on me once in about two years of use.

Internet Explorer on the other hand...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I still use Entourage because of the 3 pane support it has. Tried Mail and it was adequate, but I went back to MS. Hey, it's a decent program despite my feelings towards a company.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Mail should be a tad faster. And I want an NNTP client
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>Does that mean you worked it out, Stroszek? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I worked it out. It turns out that installing Outlook changed my default browser to IE. Once I changed it back, it opens URLs in my default browser (Netscape 7).

I'm using OS9, so I can't comment in Mail, but I was using Netscape for my mail, and was happy for many years using it, until just recently, when all of a sudden, no matter what I do, it won't let me send mail from one of my accounts. I can get mail from that account, but I can't send it. I can send from the other account. I tried everything I could think of, and got fed up.

I had a few problems getting my mail into Outlook, (turns out you can only import mail from NS 4.7 and earlier) but everything has been running smoothly since then.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>Does that mean you worked it out, Stroszek?

I think Outlook Express 5 was a fantastic application. Not great for news, or IMAP mail, but for POP it was hard to beat. I wish Apple would drop the crappy drawer from Mail and go with a sensible three-pane design. Or at least an option.

It never crashed on me once in about two years of use.

Internet Explorer on the other hand...</strong><hr></blockquote>

OE brought down my system more than IE did, and that's saying a lot. Probably part of what made me enjoy OS X so much (which has never once crapped out on me with out me forcing it to) and move to it permanently.

Plus, how can you not dig the drawer? It's one of the more thought-out applications of a drawer, and you can easily resize it and place it on either side of the window.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Both IE and OE have been pretty stable on my classic box. And it's true, OE was a great application. I've had to convert to it for all of my mail (my main machine is classic) because my server switched to a new POP mechanism that Netscape 4.7.x couldn't stomach. It refused to check the mail at all. A tech verified that this was a problem with Communicator on the PC as well.

It's too bad we'll never see an OS X native version of OE. Of course, such an app would likely suck as much as IE for OS X. And while I like Mail, it doesn't feel robust enough, and the inbox/folder arbitrary organization scheme is often quite confusing. Maybe it's because I'm using IMAP, which, if you ask me, is really more trouble than it's worth.