bookmarks in OS X and multiple browsers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
for those of you who, like me, use multiple browsers under OS X b/c no single one quite fits the bill, how do you guys manage your bookmarks? There doesn't seem to be an easy way to share bookmarks across browsers, at least not between IE and Chimera, and i mean without having to import/export after every change.

So I am thinking about just using the OS X Favorites directory for that purpose. I only wish IE/Chimera would have native support for it.

any ideas/alternatives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I haven't been using bookmarks in chimera... do they support folders? I hope so because I would like to use my OW bookmarks as the "master" set and have everything else read off of that...

probly not going to happen tho, at least not anytime soon...

Edit:

BTW this is a great development opportunity for someone... it wouldn't be all that hard to do either... all you would have to do is create a "master" Bookmark file and from that master file send Bookmarks to every web browser's (iCab, Mozilla, Opera, OW, IE, Netscape, Chimera...am I forgetting anyone?) designated bookmark location, in the correct formatting...

what would be hard would be implementing it so you could easily add to the "master" bookmark file from within each browser. Maybe a cocoa app that uses services?

[ 12-02-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    has nobody else faced this problem under Mac OS X? I would have expected a lot of people to be using a mix of different browsers since they all pretty much suck at something.

Come on guys, I would really appreciate some suggestions here.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I use BookIt and it works very well. the 3.o beta is out, and it allows you to sync between machines as well. <a href="http://www.everydaysoftware.net/"; target="_blank">check it out</a>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Interesting. Chimera doesn't support folders does it?

Alternatively, you could use Apple's Script Menu in much the same way you could use Bookit! That was what I was about to do, but first I think I'll try Bookit.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Hahaha, yes Chimera supports folders.

They also have a really cool way to make a folder into a tab group. When you select it it opens a new tab for every bookmark inside the folder. Very cool.

I think that's a feature in Mozilla as well.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    That IS cool.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    How do you delete folders? Also I'm having trouble making a tab group. I can make a tab group but how do I add sites?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    This is certainly a problem for me as well. I've always had this issue because I've always been into switching browsers depending on the task, but OS X definitely exacerbates the problem because there is no de facto browser leader, and they all have specific strengths and weaknesses. A global bookmark menu would be wonderful. In fact, that's a service that should be built into the OS. Until then, I agree it's a great third party opportunity.

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by blue2kdave:

<strong>I use BookIt and it works very well. the 3.o beta is out, and it allows you to sync between machines as well. <a href="http://www.everydaysoftware.net/"; target="_blank">check it out</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

BookIt seems very nice...actually perfect...

but it is $12...

not worth it IMHO... maybe if they added some other features or sold 2 apps together... but just for the bookmarks, $12 is a bit too much... i feel bad saying this... but it doesn't seem all that hard to do...

I must say tho I really want it

they did a good job with the shareware function...

I didn't realize it wouldn't save to any of my browsers... not even the default one...

I must have spent a good 15 min organizing all my bookmarks the way i wanted in that app... and then it wouldn't save it! that kinda sucked... but it did its job... i really want it to work