Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac goes gold, ships next month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macrazy View Post

I am getting myself a Macbook on Jan 15th (I am a switcher from Windows) - and yes, after a lot of research - I had decided long ago to go with NeoOffice... no point switching if I am still dependent on Mr. Gates, eh? ....

......nor going with iWork and being dependant on Mr. Jobs- no?
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

......nor going with iWork and being dependant on Mr. Jobs- no?

yeah... come to think of it....
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Yes, but you guys are comparing Office 2004 to Neo Office. Most people have not tried the latest beta version of Office 2008. Office 2008 is a lot different then Office 2004, and the screen shots do not give an accurate idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

NeoOffice is more usable than Office, for me at least. There's a big different between "better" and "more usable."

I'll get iWork, Office is just overkill for me and looks truly awful. And if MS have wrapped up development, that means that it's only half finished...

• Reply 44 of 62
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrinB View Post

Yes, but you guys are comparing Office 2004 to Neo Office. Most people have not tried the latest beta version of Office 2008. Office 2008 is a lot different then Office 2004, and the screen shots do not give an accurate idea.

I can't speak for everyone, but I am confident that most people on this forum are aware of the fact that Office 2008 is not Office 2004. The thing that you don't seem to get is that this is not necessarily a good thing.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    -hh-hh Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

For those who are considering buying Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition now, and then taking the free upgrade to Office 2008 Special Media Edition, consider this:

1) The 2008 Special Media Edition only allows for installation on one computer, while the Student/Teacher edition allows for 3 computers. So when you get the 2008 upgrade, it's my understanding that you actually LOSE two legal licenses for other computers. (And yes, Office is smart enough to check to see if illegal installations are running on the same network, and will refuse to run.)

Ah, so that's the catch with this "Upgrade"! I was wondering where MS would apply the shaft (other than how that "Special Media" name sounds like a poison pill for eligibility for future upgrades)

Now the question is: So what is the real difference between the 2008 'Home/Student' and the 2008 'Special Media' besides the fewer licences?

I believe that I read somewhere that the Home/Student 2008 won't have MS-Entourage 2008 included. Thanks, but I'll not willing to give up 2 licences for that, so is there anything else that is hidden in this trade-off?

-hh
  • Reply 46 of 62
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I can't speak for everyone, but I am confident that most people on this forum are aware of the fact that Office 2008 is not Office 2004. The thing that you don't seem to get is that this is not necessarily a good thing.

Quote:

How so! Got any details you want to scare us with/share with us?
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -hh View Post

I believe that I read somewhere that the Home/Student 2008 won't have MS-Entourage 2008 included. Thanks, but I'll not willing to give up 2 licences for that, so is there anything else that is hidden in this trade-off?

-hh

Not so according to Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/prom...x?pid=versions

Office Mac 2008 Home and Student edition:

* Word

* Excel

* PowerPoint

* Entourage
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macrazy View Post

I am getting myself a Macbook on Jan 15th (I am a switcher from Windows) - and yes, after a lot of research - I had decided long ago to go with NeoOffice... no point switching if I am still dependent on Mr. Gates, eh? ....

That's the spirit. As you can see from my signature, I just switched to a Mac on Nov. 30th from Windows XP. I've been a PC user since 2002 and now that I have the new Macbook that was released in October, I couldn't be happier. The transition was smooth and delightful. The learning curve was extremely minimal. I can't wait to hop on my Mac everyday. It's like they say, "Once you go Mac, you won't go back."

But seriously using NeoOffice is simple and delightful as well. I couldn't imagine using anything else. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Mac experience and NeoOffice.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Cool, I'll check it out, although the screenshots on their website still look the same as the last version I tried. That said, I still don't think there's any compelling reason to use it if I already have Office 2004.

Sure there is. In a short time Office 2004 will simply become both outdated (That may have already happened) and unsupported. Then you will have no choice except to upgrade or go the smart way and get NeoOffice.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

I didn't love it. It is far slower then Office. Often I would see the spinning Rainbow wheel. Moreover, it has compatibility with Office issues.

Are you on Mac OS 8 with a Motorola Processor and have you used the most recent version that was released on Oct. 10th of this year
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:

First, I have nothing against NeoOffice. I am glad it is out there and it is a good option for people on a budget. However, it's biggest strength is it is free. It is very similar to Office 2004 because it is essentially a copy. However, it is far slower then Office 2004 ( even running in Rosette) because it is a Java application. Moreover, it isn't able to properly convert complex Microsoft Office documents. Second, Office 2008 is better then NeoOffice in terms of usability because it is designed better and is a true Mac application (not one based on Java).

Supporting open source is cool, but I doubt many people would find NeoOffice better then Office 2008.

"It is very similar to Office 2004 because it is essentially a copy." You couldn't be more wrong. The latest version looks nothing like Office 2004 and it is based on OpenOffice.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

How so! Got any details you want to scare us with/share with us?

Most of what you need to know about Office 2008 can be found on Microsoft's preview website for the product. Although this site doesn't tell you, Microsoft has been very clear that Office 2008 does not support Visual BASIC for Applications. Without VBA, Office is just an application suite with a really bad user interface rather than a platform. You are free to agree or disagree. If any of this scares you, then I can't help that.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:

Most of what you need to know about Office 2008 can be found on Microsoft's preview website for the product. Although this site doesn't tell you, Microsoft has been very clear that Office 2008 does not support Visual BASIC for Applications. Without VBA, Office is just an application suite with a really bad user interface rather than a platform. You are free to agree or disagree. If any of this scares you, then I can't help that.

For a small percentage of Office users this is a big problem, but for the vast majority, I don't see this a being a big issue. For some interesting reading on the topic, check out:

http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2006/08/...-visual-basic/
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

For those who are considering buying Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition now, and then taking the free upgrade to Office 2008 Special Media Edition, consider this:

1) The 2008 Special Media Edition only allows for installation on one computer, while the Student/Teacher edition allows for 3 computers. So when you get the 2008 upgrade, it's my understanding that you actually LOSE two legal licenses for other computers. (And yes, Office is smart enough to check to see if illegal installations are running on the same network, and will refuse to run.)

From super suite deal redemption form...

Step 6: Choose ONE of the following options for fulfillment of your order:

 OPTION ONE: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Special Media

Edition (includes 1 license for business or personal use, also includes Exchange Server

support , additional Automator Actions plus Microsoft Expression Media for Mac)

OPTION TWO: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition

(includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange

Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac

Just to clarify. k2director is right if you want the special media edition. But you could just the home and student which comes without the Exchange Server support or Automator Actions, and keep your 3 licences.

Fair deal in my eyes. Still saving a good few hundred dollars.

And about neo office vs microsoft. I've been using both for a while, and even though microsoft office for mac is getting on my nerves using all my ram (only have 1gig at the mo), neo office takes ages to load and just doesnt cut it for me in terms of tools (and yes i do have the latest version that came out in october, with the patch, i might add!). I'm comparing both with office 2003 on a window box, which IMHO was better than neo office and microsoft office for mac, on a mac. I'm hoping office 2008 will be better than what i have now. I dont need VBA and all that stuff, I just want something that works, like I want it to, like a mac. In the end it all boils down to personal choice. Some people wanna stick with microsoft, some with mac apps. Whatever, as long as it works for you. \
  • Reply 55 of 62
    I'm surprised people have said they haven't experience formatting problems when opening a Word document in NeoOffice. I just downloaded it today for the first time and every single document so far has changed in terms of formatting from my .DOC files. It wasn't too bad of a change, easy fix, but still not one document has ported over correctly.

I've also noticed that NeoOffice doesn't do well with embedded diagrams. I'm currently getting my MBA and my statistics course has a lot of diagrams in the document which gets screwed up when opening it with NeoOffice. I would love to keep using it, as it seems like an awesome program and its FREE. But I think I'm one of the "Word is a necessary evil" people.

Does anyone else experience the porting issues I've experienced thus far?
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

I'm surprised people have said they haven't experience formatting problems when opening a Word document in NeoOffice. I just downloaded it today for the first time and every single document so far has changed in terms of formatting from my .DOC files. It wasn't too bad of a change, easy fix, but still not one document has ported over correctly.

I've also noticed that NeoOffice doesn't do well with embedded diagrams. I'm currently getting my MBA and my statistics course has a lot of diagrams in the document which gets screwed up when opening it with NeoOffice. I would love to keep using it, as it seems like an awesome program and its FREE. But I think I'm one of the "Word is a necessary evil" people.

Does anyone else experience the porting issues I've experienced thus far?

Yea, I get the porting issues, and the presentation software on neo office (dont remember the name) aint all that either.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Why would I want a $500 program for $8 in shipping costs? Please.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    In the unlikely even that anyone's interested, I've just switched to Pages from Word for my massive document text-crunching.

And so far so good. It's actually... not bad. I mean, for everything it lacks it's less irritating than Word by about, oh, shitloads. I mean, you don't have to actually fight it.

I think I'm going to stick with it.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    So, where is the Junk Mail filter in Entourage?
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msackett View Post

So, where is the Junk Mail filter in Entourage?

It's under TOOLS in mine.